Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888



2010 2012

Reading 1-0 West Bromwich Albion

Third Round: Saturday January 8th 2011 {Image left: Shane Long scores}

Attendance: 13,005

Scorer: Shane Long {41}

Ranked at the time: 663

See Everton vs Reading {below}

Reading: 1:Adam Federici, 5:Matthew Mills, 23:Ian Harte, 24:Shane Cummings, 26:Alex Pearce, 4:Jem Karacan, 8:Mikele Leigertwood, 11:Jobi McAnuff, 14: Jimmy Kebe, 9:Shane Long {replaced by 18:Simon Church-75}: 10:Noel Hunt {Replaced by 19:Hal Robson-Kanu-85}

West Bromwich: 13:Boaz Myhill, 4:Marek Cech, 22:Gianni Zuiverloon, 26:James Hurst, 36:Gonzalo Jara, 7:James Morrison, 8:Giles Barnes {Replaced by 18:Jerome Thomas}, 11:Chris Brunt, 17:Graham Dorrans, 33:Paul Scharner {Replaced by 3:Jonas Olsson}, 10:Ishmael Miller {Replaced by Bednar-52}

Southampton 2-0 Blackpool

Third Round: Saturday January 8th 2011

Attendance: 21,464

Scorers: Lee Barnard {53}, Guilherme Do Prado {88}

Ranked at the time: 277

A game involving two managers who both saw the cup as a distraction from other matters as Blackpool's outspoken boss, Ian Holloway made nine changes from the side that had lost a league game against Birmingham in midweek. His starting eleven should still have been good enough to get a result against Nigel Adkins' Saints team containing eight changes of their own, promotion out of League One being very firmly on his mind. For a side with such a great cup tradition it was perhaps a shame for Blackpool that their best chance of a cup winning run in forty years should be squandered so easily, though few Blackpool fans bothered to make the journey to the south coast to see it, a huge empty space being left in the stadium where the visitor's allocation of tickets had remained unsold. Perhaps then there was an element of justice to a victory for the home side that could have been so much worse as the visitor's woodwork was rattled early in the game and right at the death. In between Lee Barnard put the hosts in front after some Keystone cops defending from the Premier League side before Guilherme Do Prado settled matters late on with a screamer. Blackpool had briefly looked like snatching a draw when they hit the woodwork themselves at 0-1 but Ian Holloway's complaints about the disrespectful Southampton fans chants of 'Premier League? yer 'avin' a laugh' were hollow and, all in all fully deserved. Southampton got a dream draw in round four against League leaders, Manchester United, which was instantly singled out for live television on ITV on fourth round Saturday evening and they came very close to causing an even bigger upset when Richard Chaplow hit a screaming drive to open the scoring just before half time. United, admittedly played the squad game, fielding many of their fringe players but this was still a very strong line up, made even stronger when Sir Alex Ferguson brought on some of the big guns in the second half. Goals from Michael Owen and Javier Hernandez turned the game United's way and Southampton returned to trying to get back into the second tier.

Southampton: 24:Bartosz Bailkowski, 2:Frazer Richardson, 3:Dan Harding, 17:Aaron Martin, 19:Danny Seaborne, 4:Morgan Schneiderlin, 10:Jason Puncheon, 14:Dean Hammond {replaced by 5:Ryan Dickson-61}, 20:Adam Llalana {replaced by 11;Guliherme do Prado-79}, 7:Rickie Lambert, 9:Lee Barnard {replaced by Oxlade-Chamberlain-84}

Blackpool: 1:Paul Rachubka, 5:Neal Eardley {replaced by 36:Kinglsey Francis-Reynolds-85}, 15:Alex Baptiste, 24:Rob Edwards, 31:Dekel Kienan, 4:Keith Southern, 19:Ludovic Sylvestre, 23:Matt Phillips, 34: Liam Tomsett {replaced by 32:Tom Barkhuizen-56}, 10:Brett Ornerod

{33:Josh Roberts-76}, 18:Jason Euell

Stevenage Borough 3-1 Newcastle United

Third Round: Saturday January 8th 2011

Attendance; 6,644

Scorers: {Stevenage}: Mike Williamson {own goal 50}, Michael Bostwick {55}, Peter Winn {90+3}, {Newcastle}: Joey Barton {90+2}

Ranked at the time: 17

For match report click result

Stevenage: 16:Chris Day, 2:Lawrie Wilson, 3:Scott Laird, 5:Jon Ashton, 14:Mark Roberts, 25:Ronnie Henry {replaced by 18:David Bridges-85}, 8:Stacy Long, 21:John Mousinho, 24:Michael Bostwick, 17:Peter Winn {replaced by Yemi Oudubade-90+4}, 20:Chris Beardsley, unused substitutes: Bayes, Foster, Griffin, May, Sinclair: Manager: Graham Westley

Newcastle United: 26:Tim Krul, 2;Fabricio Coloccini, 6:Mike Williamson, 12:Danny Simpson, 14:James Perch, 4:Kevin Nolan, 7:Joey Barton, 10:Wayne Routledge, 17:Alan Smith {replaced by 24:Cheik Tiote-58, sent off 70}, 11:Peter Lovenkrands {replaced by 38:Airey-78}, 20:Leon Best {replaced by 30:Nile Ranger-46} unused substitutes: Soderberg, Kadar, Guthrie, Shane Ferguson: Manager:Alan Pardew

Sunderland 1-2 Notts County

Third Round: Saturday January 8th 2011

Attendance: 17,582

Scorers: {Sunderland} Darren Bent {Pen-81}: {Notts}: Craig Westcarr {5}, Lee Hughes {75}

Ranked at the time: 81

For match report click result

Sunderland: 22:Simon Mignolet, 3:Kieran Richardson, 12: Marcos Angeleri {replaced by 2:Phil Bardsley-70}, 14:Paulo da Silva, 29:Anton Ferdinand, 8:Steed Malbranque, 16:Cristian Riveros {replaced by 27:Ahmed Elmohamady-60} 20:Reid, 25:Jack Colback {replaced by 10:Jordan Henderson-60}, 11:Darren Bent, 33:Asamoah Gyan: unused substitutes: Carson, Bramble, Adams, Reed: Manager:Steve Bruce

Notts: 17:Stuart Nelson, 4:Mike Edwards, 6:John Thompson, 12;Krystian Pearce, 26:Jon Harley, 8:Ricky Ravenhill, 10:Neal Bishop, 11:Ben Davies, 22:Alan Judge {replaced by 18:Stephen Hunt-79}, 9:Lee Hughes {replaced by 30:Michael Woods-84}. 20:Craig Westcarr {replaced by 15:Karl Hawley 90 + 3}: unused substitutes: Mitchell, Lee, Sodje, Burgess: Manager: Paul Ince

Crawley Town 2-1 Derby County

Third Round: Monday January 10th 2011

Attendance: 4,145

Scorers: {Crawley}: Criag McAllister {30} {image left}, Sergio Torres {90+1}, {Derby}: Miles Addison {63}

Ranked at the time: 118

Crawley: 1:Michel Kuipers, 16:Glenn Wilson, 22:Pablo Mills, 23:Dean Howell, 27:Kyle McFadzean, 7:Ben Smith {replaced by 18: Jamie Cook-90 + 3}, 8:Sergio Torres, 15:Dannie Bulman, 26:Scott Neilson {replaced by 4:David Hunt-73}, 9:Matt Tubbs, 14:Craig McAllister: unused substitutes: Shearer, Rents, Napper, Cook, Brodie: Manager: Steve Evans

Derby: 1:Stephen Bywater, 2:John Brayford, 3:Gareth Roberts {replaced by 7:Steve Davies- 90+3}, 5:Shaun Barker, 20:Miles Addison, 4:Paul Green, 8:Robbie Savage {replaced by 21:Dean Moxey-84}, 16:James Bailey, 18:Ben Pringle {replaced by 19:

Conference Promotion chasing Crawley Town were featured heavily by the media in the build up to this, the biggest game in their one hundred and fifteen year history, with the live TV cameras due to descend on the tiny Broadfield Stadium for this, having switched the fixture to Monday night to accommodate the schedules. Crawley though were playing their cards close to their chest and when the BBC arrived and asked if their pundit, Robbie Savage, who also happened to be Derby County's captain, could interview some of the Crawley players, they were politely rebuffed, Crawley stating that they didn't want the former Welsh International playing mind games with the home players. On the night itself, which was a horribly stormy, wet and wintery one, the Crawley players were only too pleased to get up close and personal with the best known player of the visiting team and Savage left the field at half time having angry words with several home players as well as his own team mates for their lacklustre display. Crawley were deservedly a goal up at that time through Craig McCallister and continued to have the better of things in the second period, hitting the woodwork early on before Derby equalised through a Miles Addison header. Crawley's chance of avoiding a trip to Pride Park looked gone when a late goal-bound effort was headed clear with Bywater beaten but the resulting corner was slotted out to Sergio Torres on the edge of the penalty area who virtually passed the ball through the crowded area into the net. Wild scenes followed with fans spilling onto the pitch to celebrate with the players what surely would be the winning goal. The linesman had signaled three minutes of injury time so Derby still had two minutes to save themselves but with the time it took to clear the field the game moved into a fifth and then sixth minute of stoppage time. Derby forced a corner, which had the Crawley manager wailing at the referee that surely time was now up before finally, as the game crept into the ninety-seventh minute, time was called and the delighted Crawley fans raced onto the field for a second time to celebrate their greatest victory. Crawley now had the chance to make history when drawn at home to League two Torquay as the first non league side in the 21st Century to reach the last sixteen. They duly did, even affording to have two penalties saved in their 1-0 victory but it was a result that was tainted somewhat by Crawley's attitude towards their visitors with heated exchanges even before the game when Crawley were accused of unsportsmanlike behaviour, warming up in the goalmouth, an action that is something of a taboo in football. The game also had some ugly scenes with both sides being reduced to ten men. The club had made history but few friends in the wider football community.

 Everton 0-1 Reading

Fifth Round: Tuesday March 1st 2011

Attendance: 29,976

Scorer: Matt Mills {26}

Ranked at the time: 507

West Bromwich and Everton fans should both have known this was coming. The Baggies had lost to the Royals in the previous season's competition when promotion to the top flight had been the priority while the Toffees faced the Royals, having sent the cup favourites, Chelsea packing in a fourth round replay. This time for the Baggies top flight survival was perhaps the priority for Roberto Di Mateo's side who came into the game at the Madjeski on a run of five straight defeats. A disappointing crowd half filled the stadium to see Shane Long, who was almost rested by manager, Brian McDermott, score his seventh goal in six games with a good long range strike just before the interval. A poor Albion side rarely threatened an equaliser and when second half substitute, Jonas Olsson saw red on the hour, their fate was all but sealed in a result that, in all honesty, caused hardly a ripple among the pressmen and was well down the pecking order on ITV's highlights programme later in the evening. Reading's reward for being a giant killer was to be set up as a potential victim of giant killing themselves when drawn at Stevenage, whose own third round exploits can be read above. Shane Long was again on hand to to send the Royals through with a winning goal just three minutes from time. Reading had to wait for a fourth round replay to confirm a tie away to double cup holders, Chelsea, the kings of cup football at the time. Few had given Everton any chance of winning at Stamford Bridge but they did, on penalties and suddenly the Reading fans were facing an unexpected trip north. The quarter final draw had, in the mean time handed the victors a difficult trip to either Manchester City or Aston Villa and Evertonians were already discussing their good record at both grounds as their side swaggered their way through the first twenty-five minutes of the game. The had only one half chance to show for all their poise however when Reading's first corner of the game caused panic and ended with Matt Mills driving through a ruck of players to fire the visitors in front. Rather than rise to the challenge, Everton went to bits after the goal and Reading were unfortunate not to increase their lead before the break. A switch to three strikers in the second half did little to increase Everton's threat and Reading's path to the quarter finals was a lot easier than they'd ever expected.