Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888

Giant Killers


2000 - 2002

Everton 0-3 Tranmere


Fourth Round: Saturday January 27th 2001

Attendance: 39,207

Scorers: Steve Yates {17, 61}, Jason Koumas {34}

Ranked at the time: 194

{image: Steve Yates {white shirt} heads Tranmere into the lead}

Everton: 35:Thomas Myhre, 2:Steve Watson, 28:Abel Xavier, 12:Michael Ball, 6:David Unsworth {replaced by 4:Richard Gough-45}, 17:Scott Gemmill, 16:Thomas Graveson, 11:Mark Pembridge, 10:Stephen Hughes {replaced by 19:Joe Max Moore-45}, 9:Kevin Campbell, 21:Danny Cadamarteri {replaced by 33:Idal Tal-71}. Manager:Walter Smith

Rovers: John Achterberg, Cint Hill, Richard Jobson, Des Hamilton, Steve Yates, Graham Allen, Richard Hinds, Jason Koumas, Sean Flynn {replaced by Nick Henry-82}, Andy Parkinson {replaced by Scott Taylor-86}, Paul Rideout {replaced by Ian Hume-80}. Manager:John Aldridge

{see Tranmere vs Southampton below}

Derby County 2-5 Blackburn Rovers

Fourth Round replay: Wednesday February 7th 2001

Attendance: 15,203

Scorers: {County} Chris Riggott {3}, Stefanio Eranio {70}: {Rovers} Gary Flitcroft {48}, Marcus Bent {57, 71}, David Dunn {pen-65}, Matt Jansen {77}

Ranked at the time: 552

County: 24:Andrew Oakes, 3:Brian O'Neill, 21:Chris Riggott, 2:Horacio Carbonari {replaced by 11:Lee Morris-68}, 34:Taribo West, 23:Paul Boertien, 20:Stefanio Eranio {replaced by 15:D Higginbotham-84}, 6:Craig Burley {replaced by 16:Lilian Martin-59}, 30:Adam Murray, 9:Deon Burton, 12:Malcolm Christie. Manager:Jim Smith

Rovers: Brad Friedel, John Curtis, Henning Berg, Martin Taylor, Damien Duff, Jason McAteer {replaced by M Keller-87}, David Dunn, Gary Flitcroft, Alan Mahon, Mark Hughes {replaced by Matt Jansen-73}, Marcus Bent {replaced by Craig Hignett-82}. Manager:Graeme Souness

Wimbledon 3-1 Middlesbrough

Fourth Round replay: Tuesday February 13th 2001

Attendance: 5,991

Scorers: {Wimbledon} Neil Ardley {pen-76}, Jason Euell {95}, Jonathan Hunt {112}: {Middlesbrough} Hamilton Ricard {45}

Ranked at the time: 522

Wimbledon: 1:Kelvin Davis, 2:Kenny Cunningham, 6:Darren Holloway, 28:Peter Hawkins, 17:Mark Williams, 12:Trond Anderson, 30:Par Karlsson {replaced by 34:Jonathan Hunt-90}, 18:Gareth Ainsworth, 24:Damien Francis {replaced by 7:Neil Ardley-33}, 10:Jason Euell, 26:Patrick Agyemang {replaced by 25:Wayne Gray-64}. Manager:Terry Burton

Middlesbrough: 1:Mark Schwarzer, 2:Curtis Fleming, 17:Ugo Ehiogu {sent off-97}, 3:Dean Gordon, 5:Gianluca festa, 28:Colin Cooper, 24:Phil Stamp {replaced by 18:Andy Campbell-45}, 9:Paul Ince, 7:Robbie Mustoe, 10:Brian Deane {replaced by 11:Alen Boksic-82}, 19:Hamilton Ricard {replaced by 33:Mark Hudson-74}. Manager:Terry Venables

Tranmere Rovers 4-3


Fifth Round replay: Tuesday February 20th 2001

Attendance: 12,910

Scorers: {Rovers} Paul Rideout {58, 71, 80} Stuart Barlow {83} : {Southampton} Hassan Kachloul {11}, Jo Tessem {25}, Dean Richards {44}

Ranked at the time: 286

{Image: Paul Rideout completes his hat-trick}

Tranmere had already gained a reputation as a thorn in the side of Premier League clubs by the time John Aldridge’s side were drawn to travel to neighbours Everton but few tipped a cup shock in a tie between two sides both looking nervously over their shoulders at the relegation zones of their respective divisions. Media interest was generated more by the connections between the two clubs with the second tier side arriving at Goodison Park fielding Everton’s most recent cup winning goal scorer, Paul Rideout in their ranks.

A warm reception was given to him and his team mates by a home crowd who were buoyed by a recent upturn in their team’s form that looked like proving decisive in the opening exchanges as Everton carved out and wasted two good early chances. Tranmere began to settle into the tie and the pace of Andy Parkinson soon began to torment the Everton defence, creating the opening goal on seventeen minutes. Parkinson’s cross eluded a line of blue shirts to find Steve Yates virtually unmarked at the far side of the penalty area. His looping header went back across goal and crept in at Myhre’s far post.

Everton were unlucky not to have equalised when Kevin Campbell had a goal chalked off a few minutes later but from that point onwards Tranmere took control of the tie and deservedly doubled their lead just after the half hour when Parkinson again set up Jason Koumas for a delightfully crafted lob over Everton’s helpless former Tranmere custodian. The elite club could have no complaints at going in two goals down as further chances fell to the visitors to settle matters before the break. Everton manager Walter Smith made two half time substitutions in a desperate bid to try and save the tie but the home side rarely threatened to get back into it and were finally sunk midway through the half when Koumas’ corner was headed home by an unmarked Yates. Evertonian’s expressed their feelings with their feet and made for the exits while 6,000 Tranmere fans enjoyed the final twenty minutes of a victory they couldn’t have dreamt would be so convincing before the game.

Round five took Tranmere to another mid table top flight outfit in Southampton, under the guidance of former cup winning goal scorer, Glenn Hoddle. This time they battled out a dour affair at The Dell in which few chances came either way, though the Saints had the ball in the net three times, all correctly chalked off by the referee. After two trips to Premier League grounds, the Tranmere fans now had the chance to watch their side on home soil in a replay but it provided them with an opening forty-five minutes of pain as Southampton totally dominated.

Hassan Kachloul was the architect, scoring the opener with an exquisite curling shot from long range before latching onto a through ball in the Tranmere penalty area that allowed him to lay on the simplest of tap ins for Jo Tessem. The tie looked to be over when a static Tranmere defence failed to deal with a Saint’s freekick and Dean Richards prodded the ball in from barely a yard out. With the tie over as a contest, John Aldridge sent on Stuart Barlow to try and restore pride in the second half but the transformation was unbelievable. That pride looked to have been restored when a Tranmere freekick was cleared only as far as Andy Parkinson, whose drilled shot into the crowded penalty area was directed home by Rideout but it was suspected that the goal would do little other than make the last half hour more interesting.

It became very interesting when Rideout was given a free header from a corner with barely twenty minutes remaining and suddenly the tie was back in the balance. Southampton still looked composed enough to see out the game and to their credit continued to look likely to put the game beyond their hosts but the crucial goal came with ten minutes left when a freekick was laid to Parkinson on the wing whose cross was met by Rideout to gleefully complete his hat-trick. The stands exploded into noise at such an unlikely comeback but laid on a final ten minutes in which Southampton now looked like a side resigned to extra time and an opportunity to regain their composure.

Seven minutes remained when a Tranmere throw caused a game of head tennis in the Southampton penalty area before the ball fell invitingly for Stuart Barlow to fire past Jones from six yards. The delight throughout the ground was uncontrollable and tinged only with the stupidity of the lawmakers in that the referee promptly cautioned Barlow for taking his shirt off in the celebrations. If there was perhaps one player among the visitors who didn’t deserve to be on the losing side it was Hassan Kachloul and in the final moments of the game ha came agonisingly close to forcing extra time, sliding the ball across the box just inches too far for the stretching Dean Richards to stab home what would surely have been a dramatic equaliser.

The final whistle brought with it a well deserved pitch invasion and, better still, a visit from the red half of the Merseyside divide in the quarter finals. For Aldridge, a cup winning goalscorer with Liverpool twelve years earlier it was a dream draw but no doubt for the ex Evertonian goal scorers Rideout and Barlow, a relishing chance to get one over their former adversaries and complete a terrific Merseyside double. While the Liverpool fans predicted a convincing victory their manager, Gerard Houlier paid Aldridge’s men the highest possible compliment when saying that at times in the second half against Southampton he thought he was watching a Champions League performance.

The Reds were enjoying a great cup year, having already won the League cup and on course to lift the UEFA cup at the end of the season and their cup speciality showed through, taking a two goal lead into the interval. After the drama of the last round nobody dared suggest the tie was over and sure enough Tranmere barged their way back into the tie through Yates, only to be punctured again when Michael Owen netted a third for Liverpool. Robbie Fowler then gifted Wayne Allison a second Tranmere goal in what was becoming another cracking second half and Tranmere appealed in vain twice for penalties that were waived away before falling themselves to a harsh spot kick for the visitors, which Fowler himself dispatched.

Liverpool would go on to win the cup themselves but for Tranmere their cup exit proved a bitter sweet experience as they were now rooted to the footed of the second tier and staring relegation in the face. despite Aldridge's best efforts he couldn't get his team to replicate their cup form in the league and just one win in their final fifteen games sealed their fate. Aldridge fell on his sword in March when survival was still a possibility but it failed to halt Tranmere's slide into the third tier. They at least went down knowing that they had pulled off arguably the biggest cupset comeback in giant killing history.

Rovers: John Achterberg, Steve Yates, Dave Challinor {subbed 45}, Richard Jobson, Richard Hinds, Graham Allen, Jason Koumas, Sean Flynn, Des Hamilton {replaced by Stuart Barlow 45}, Andy Parkinson, Paul Rideout. Manager:John Aldridge

Southampton: 1:Paul Jones, 4:Chris Marsden, 5:Claus Lundekvam, 6:Dean Richards, 28:Kevin Gibbens, 9:Mark Draper, 18:Wayne Bridge, 30:Hassan Kachloul, 21:Jo Tessem, 16:James Beattie, 17:Marian Pahars. Manager:Glenn Hoddle

Leicester City 1-2

Wycombe Wanderers

Quarter Final: Saturday March 10th 2001


Scorers: {City} Muzzy Izzet {67}: {Wanderers} Paul McCarthy {50}, Roy Essandoh {90+1}

{image: Roy Essandoh celebrates at the final whistle}

Ranked at the time: 144

City: Simon Royce, Andrew Impey, Steve Guppy, Gary Rowett, Gerry Taggert, Mark Elliott, Muzzy Izzet, Robbie Savage {replaced by Darren Eadie-60}, Stefan Oakes, Dean Sturridge {replaced by Trevor Benjamin-75}, Ade Akinbiyi {replaced by Arnar Gunnlaugsson-75}. Manager:Peter Taylor

Wanderers: Martin Taylor, Ben Townsend, Jamie Bates, Jason Cousins, Paul McCarthy, Chris Vinnicombe, Dannie Bulman, Simpson, Steve Brown {sent off 90+1}, Keith Ryan {replaced by Mark Osborn-75}, George Clegg {replaced by Stuart Castledine-75} {unknown replaced by Roy Essandoh-73}. Manager:Lawrie Sanchez