Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888

Giant Killers


1978 - 1980

 Leicester City 3-0 Norwich City

Third Round: Saturday Janaury 6th 1979


Scorers: Larry May, Keith Weller, Martin Henderson

Ranked at the time:253

Leicester: 1:Mark Wallington, 2:Steve Whitworth, 3:Tony Williams, 4:John Ridley, 5:Larry May, 6:John O'Neill, 7:Keith Weller, 8:Andy Peake, 9:Martin Henderson, 10:Mark Goodwin, 11:David Buchanan. Manager:Jock Wallace

Norwich: 1:Kevin Keelan, 2:Kevin Bond, 3:Ian Davies, 4:John Ryan, 5:Phil Hoadley, 6:Tony Powell, 7:Jimmy Neighbour, 8:Kevin Reeves,

9:Martin Chivers, 10:Mick McGuire, 11:Martin Peters. Manager:John Bond

Birmingham City 0-2 Burnley

Third Round: Tuesday January 9th 1979


Scorers: Tony Morley, Leighton James

Ranked at the time:390

Birmingham: 1:Jim Montgomery, 2:Kevan Broadhurst, 3:Mark Dennis, 4:Tony Towers, 5:Joe Gallagher, 6:Malcolm Page, 7:Kevin Dillon, 8:Trevor Francis {replaced by 12: Keith Bertschin}, 9:Alan Buckley, 10:Alberto Tarantini, 11:Don Givens. Manager:Jim Smith

Burnley: 1:Alan Stevenson, 2:Derek Scott, 3:Ian Brennan, 4:Peter Noble, 5:Jim Thomson, 6:Billy Rodaway, 7:Brian Hall, 8:Billy Ingham, 9:Tony Morley, 10:Steve Kindon, 11:Leighton James. Manager:Harry Potts

Fulham 2-0 Queen's Park Rangers

Third Round: Tuesday January 9th 1979


Scorers: Gordon Davies, John Margerrison

Ranked at the time:488

Fulham: 1:Gerry Payton, 2:Les Strong, 3:Kevin Lock, 4:Terry Bullivant, 5:Richard Money, 6:Tony Gale, 7:Gordon Davies, 8:John Beck, 9:Chris Guthrie, 10:John Margerrison, 11:Peter Marinello. Manager:Bobby Campbell

Rangers: 1:Phil Parkes, 2:Dave Clement, 3:Ian Gillard, 4:Tommy Cunningham, 5:Ernie Howe, 6:John Hollins, 7:Don Shanks, 8:Peter Eastoe, 9:Billy Hamilton, 10:Stan Bowles, 11:Martyn Busby {replaced by 12:Rachid Harkouk}. Manager: Steve Burtenshaw

Sunderland 2-1 Everton

Third Round: Wednesday January 10th 1979


Scorers: {Sunderland} Bob Lee, Gary Rowell {pen}. {Everton} Martin Dobson

Ranked at the time: 166

Sunderland: 1:Barry Siddall, 2:Mick Henderson, 3:Joe Bolton, 4:Mike Docherty, 5:Jeff Clarke, 6:Shaun Elliott, 7:Mick Buckley, 8:Wilf Rostron, 9:Wayne Entwistle, 10:Bob Lee, 11:Gary Rowell. Manager:Billy Elliott

Everton: 1:George Wood, 2:Colin Todd, 3:Terry Darracott, 4:Mike Lyons, 5:Billy Wright, 6:Trevor Ross, 7:Andy King, 8:Martin Dobson, 9:Bob Latchford, 10:Mickey Walsh, 11:Dave Thomas. Manager:Gordon Lee

Crystal Palace 1-0 Middlesbrough

Third Round Replay: Monday January 15th 1979


Scorer: Kenny Sansom

Ranked at the time:521

Palace: 1:John Burridge, 2:Paul Hinshelwood, 3:Kenny Sansom, 4:Steve Kember, 5:Jim Cannon, 6:Billy Gilbert, 7:Peter Nicholas, 8:Jerry Murphy, 9:Terry Fenwick, 10Vince Hilaire, 11:Ian Walsh. Manager:Terry Venables

Middlesbrough: 1:Jim Stewart, 2:John Craggs, 3:Ian Bailey, 4:John Mahoney, 5:Stuart Boam, 6:Tony McAndrew, 7:Terry Cochrane, 8:Mark Proctor, 9:Micky Burns {replaced by 12:Billy Ashcroft}, 10:Stan Cummins, 11:David Armstrong. Manager: John Neal

Preston North End 3-0 Derby County

Third Round: Tuesday January 16th 1979


Scorers: Francis Burns, Alex Bruce {2}

Ranked at the time:277

Preston: 1:Roy Tunks, 2:Brian Taylor, 3:Danny Cameron, 4:Francis Burns, 5:Mick Baxter, 6:Don O'Roirdan, 7:Gordon Coleman, 8:Sean Haslegrave, 9:Michael Robinson, 10:Eric Potts, 11:Alex Bruce. Manager:Nobby Stiles

Derby: 1:David McKellar, 2:David Langan, 3:Steve Buckley, 4:Gerry Daly, 5:Roy McFarland, 6:Dave Webb, 7:Steve Carter, 8:Steve Powell, 9:Billy Caskey, 10:Jonathan Clark, 11:Gordon Hill {replaced by 12:John Duncan. Manager:Tommy Docherty

Shrewsbury Town 2-0 Manchester City

Fourth Round: Saturday January 27th 1979


Scorers: Sammy Chapman, Paul Maguire

Ranked at the time: 139

The summer of 1978 was an uncertain one at Gay Meadow as Shrewsbury said farewell to, Alan Durban, the manager who won them promotion out of the Fourth Division three years earlier. Ritchie Barker stepped up from assistant and instantly launched a history making campaign as the Shrews made a bid for promotion to the Second Division for the first time. The club were top of the table with just one defeat in their opening seventeen games when Barker dropped the bombshell that he was moving on to take up the assistant manager’s job at First Division Wolves. Shrewsbury turned to one of their players, Graham Turner to be entrusted with the task of building on Barker’s foundations and when he started with a defeat it must have raised concerns. The defeat was just a blip though and the Shrews remained on course for promotion as they came through the first three rounds of the cup with wins at Third Division Mansfield, Fourth Division Doncaster and, most impressively, a 3-1 minor cupset of Second Division Cambridge at Gay Meadow. That set up a fourth round clash with First Division Manchester City.

Tony Book’s City qualified for the UEFA cup the previous season and in December they pulled off an impressive 3-0 victory over Milan, having drawn 2-2 in the first leg in Italy. It was a star studded City line up with five England Internationals, Joe Corrigan, Dave Watson, Brian Kidd, Peter Barnes and Mike Channon. Corrigan was the keeper in City’s 1970 cup winner’s cup winning team and had also enjoyed League cup success in 1976 with Watson, Barnes, Gary Owen and Scottish duo, Willie Donachie and Asa Hartford. Brian Kidd had scored in Manchester United’s 1968 European cup win, Watson and Channon had both won the F A cup while with Second Division clubs Sunderland and Southampton respectively while Polish legend Kazimierz Deyna was among the first major wave of foreign stars to come to England on the back of the 1978 World cup. In addition to this was a city legend, Colin Bell, the last survivor of their 1968 League title winning side who was attempting to make a comeback after a career threatening injury. Yet incredibly this was a team who came to Shrewsbury without a victory in thirteen consecutive League games. The Manchester natives were restless.

Gay Meadow was heavily sanded before the tie while over 14,000 fans packed into a stadium that could just about hold 16,000. And what they saw was a fully deserved dismantling of a team clearly short on confidence by one that couldn’t be more so. The visiting aristocrats stroked the ball around patiently in the opening exchanges until the ninth minute when John Keay’s high through ball left Paul Futcher flat footed and unable to stop Paul Maguire. His first effort was saved by Corrigan but the Shrewsbury winger was fortunate enough to get his body against the rebound and steer it into the net before the flailing Futcher could prevent the goal. City were all over the place defensively after that and Maguire could have doubled their lead when hitting the side netting while Steve Biggins should have done better when one on one with Corrigan. Their best chance of a second goal came and went when strong appeals for a penalty were waived away after Biggins appeared to be felled by both Donachie and Deyna. City did have their moments but they were rare by comparison as Barnes and Kidd both failed to find the target from good positions while Corrigan at the other end needed to be at his best to tip Turner’s drive around the post. That said City should have equalised just before the interval when a terrific goal mouth scramble developed before Wardle gratefully gained control of the ball.

The visitors brought on Colin Bell after the break and despite him being a shadow of the player he once was, he was easily City’s best player on the day. The team as a whole still struggled to get a grip on the game though and it wasn’t long before Corrigan was in action again to deny both Maguire and Chapman. If a second goal was coming, Shrewsbury looked the more likely and sure enough, in the 58th minute Maguire’s corner was met with a well placed near post header by Chapman that flashed past Corrigan. Atkins and Maguire could both have added to city’s woes but Shrewsbury had done enough to win the tie comfortably. The backlash on City was enough to see them end their long winless streak with a comprehensive victory over Spurs in their next League game, though they still stuttered their way through the remainder of the season to finish fifteenth. Shrewsbury travelled to Fourth Division Aldershot in round five where they nearly fell victim of a minor upset themselves, drawing 2-2 before needing extra time to see off their opponents in the replay. A trip to First Division Wolves was what awaited them and Shrewsbury so nearly pulled off another cupset, seeing a Steve Biggins shot cleared off the line at one stage before needing a late penalty to salvage a replay at Gay Meadow. That replay ensured that Shrewsbury’s name appeared in the draw for the semi-finals of the cup for the only time in their history but they would ultimately be denied their big day against Arsenal as Wolves won through 3-1. Graham Turner ended the first season of a thirty-five year career in management by winning the Third Division title and taking the Shrews into the Second Division for the first time in their history. An even brighter future awaited star man, Paul Maguire, for whom the cup run proved a shop window. He would make his way to the First Division and a major part of keeping Stoke in the top flight in the early eighties. Ultimate success however went to Ian Atkins who also rose to the First Division and briefly found himself at Everton. Atkins made just seven appearances for the Toffeemen but that was enough for him to win a title winner’s medal in 1987.

Town: 1:Bob Wardle, 2:Jake King, 3:Tony Larkin, 4:Graham Turner, 5:Colin Griffin, 6:Jack Keay, 7:Bob 'Sammy' Chapman, 8:Ian Atkins, 9:David Tong, 10:Steve Biggins, 11:Paul Maguire: Manager: Graham Turner

City: 1:Joe Corrigan, 2:Willie Donachie, 3:Paul Power, 4:Gary Owen, 5:Dave Watson, 6:Paul Futcher, 7:Mike Channon, 8:Kazimierz Deyna {Replaced by 12:Colin Bell}, 9:Brian Kidd, 10:Asa Hartford, 11:Peter Barnes: Manager: Tony Book

Crystal Palace 3-0 Bristol City

Fourth Round: Monday January 29th 1979


Scorers: Terry Fenwick, Peter Nicholas, Steve Kember

Ranked at the time:277

Palace: 1:John Burridge, 2:Paul Hinshelwood, 3:Kenny Sansom, 4:Steve Kember, 5:Jim Cannon, 6:Billy Gilbert, 7:Peter Nicholas, 8:Jerry Murphy, 9:Terry Fenwick, 10:Dave Swindlehurst, 11:Ian Walsh. Manager:Terry Venables

City: 1:John Shaw, 2:Gerry Sweeney, 3:Don Gillies, 4:Gerry Gow, 5:David Rodgers, 6:Norman Hunter {sent off 52}, 7:Trevor Tainton, 8:Tom Ritchie {sent off 89}, 9:Joe Royle, 10:Peter Cormack {replaced by 12:Jimmy Mann}, 11:Clive Whitehead. Manager:Alan Dicks