Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888

Giant Killers


1964 - 1966

Millwall 2-0 Fulham

Third Round replay: Monday January 11th 1965

Attendance: 31,339

Scorers: Dave Harper, Barry Rowan

Ranked at the time: 29

Millwall: 1:Alex Stepney, 2:John Gilchrist, 3:Harry Cripps, 4:Dave Harper, 5:Tom Wilson, 6:Ray Gough, 7:Barry Rowan, 8:Jimmy Whitehouse, 9:Dai Jones, 10:Hugh Curran, 11:Dennis John. Manager:Billy Gray

Fulham: 1:Tony Macedo, 2:George Cohen, 3:Jimmy Langley, 4:Bobby Robson, 5:John Dempsey, 6:Stan Brown, 7:Johnny Key, 8:Rodney Marsh, 9:Reg Stratton, 10:Johnny Haynes, 11:Trevor 'Tosh' Chamberlain

Peterborough United 2-1 Arsenal

Fourth Round: Saturday January 30th 1965

Attendance: 30,056

Scorers: {United} Derek Dougan {72}, Peter McNamee {85}: {Arsenal} John Radford {45}

Ranked at the time: 141

Although the mid 1960s was very much a doldrums period for Arsenal, the very name remained a huge draw in the FA Cup. Peterborough were still very much among the babies of the Football League. Granted access to its fabled halls in 1960, Posh won promotion to Division Three at the first attempt and went into 1965 on the fringes of the Second Division promotion race. Under former Manchester City player, Gordon Clark, Posh won their way through to the fourth round of the cup at the expense of Salisbury, QPR and Chesterfield. Arsenal, under the guidance of the former Wolves legend, Billy Wright, were going through yet another meandering season in the First Division and started their cup run with a routine victory at Darlington.

A huge crowd packed into London Road, many in mourning dress, having watched the state funeral of Sir Winston Churchill on television earlier that day, while youngsters were passed over heads to take their places on the cinder track around the pitch. They would be treated to a great close up view of the Arsenal stars as they struggled to contain their enthusiastic Peterborough opponents during the first half. The Posh failed to turn their superiority into goals however and right on half time, George Eastham's corner was driven into the net by John Radford to leave the home crowd deflated and feeling like Arsenal's First Division ability would see them through.

It was ironic then that after Arsenal spent long periods pressing for a decisive second goal in the second half they were pegged back eighteen minutes from time when Ron Barnes slotted through to Derek Dougan who shrugged off the attentions of Ian Ure before firing Posh level.

The noise levels in London Road went through the roof as Peterborough pressed for a winner while Arsenal began to look like a side happy to take the game back to Highbury. But just when Arsenal looked like they'd weathered the storm, Ron Barnes found Peter McNamee who from barely five yards gave Tony Burns in the Arsenal goal no chance. There was barely five minutes left on the clock, which Arsenal spent laying siege to Willie Duff?s goal. Duff stood firm, making two excellent saves in the dying moments to keep the Gunners out.

Brian Lupton was a 16 year old Posh fan who was at the game. He recalls...

"Things were so different in those days. We always biked to the ground and chained our bikes to the fencing of the railway wagon works just by the entrance to Moys End. Probably 20 yards from the turnstiles. Although it was an all ticket match, we would have got there early (can't remember how early) but getting away was not much of a problem despite the very large crowd.

A young John Radford scored just before half time and then the Doog {Derek Dougan} turned Ian Ure yet again and equalised, then our hero Mac (Peter MacNamee) got the winner with about 5 mins to go. [All at the Moys end] From then on the ball went down the London Road end and didn't leave our penalty area for the rest of the game! Perhaps a slight exaggeration. Wherever we saw the Posh we always tried to get to the left wing corner to see Mac weave his magic.

So we eventually eased our way out of the ground unlocked our bikes and made our way along the perimeter road of the car park (I gather that the car park has now been built on and according to google maps this road is now called Hawksbill Way. ) Eventually -really only a few minutes - as the cars coming out of the car park were edging their way towards the pub on the corner on Town Bridge- as I write I can't remember its name- in those days there was always a policeman at the junction with London Road, controlling the pedestrians making their way over town bridge back into town. Every so often he would stop the pedestrians and let us (cars and cyclists) out on to London Road which then led straight over the town bridge, straight down Bridge Street (no pedestrian thoroughfares then) across what is now Cathedral Square, down Long Causeway left into Westgate and right into Lincoln Road and continued pedalling northwards until we got home in Walton. I've heard it said that thousands of unhappy Arsenal fans threw their Arsenal lapel badges into the river in disgust.

A school friend of mine who never went to see football was fishing by the river, probably a quite a way east of the town bridge and heard one loud cheer (Radford) and the two much louder cheers and he knew that Posh had won. This same chap went off to Liverpool University and ended up being a regular on the Kop.

Amazingly, that season I started a scrap book (in an old science exercise book and you can see some of my writing in the spaces between the pictures). Derek Dougan wrote a weekly column in the Peterborough Standard and it is interesting to read what he had to say before and after the Arsenal game. Remember that the win over the Arsenal remains the only win by Posh over a team in the top flight. [True their other giant killings recorded on this site were as a Non-League team over Second Division sides.]

In celebration, that evening I probably sat and watched TV, I was only 16. - As for what was on tele? This website can advise Brian that, if he got home in time, 'Juke Box Jury' featured Paul Anka, Stubby Kaye, Julie Samuel and Miss World, Ann Sidney. William Hartnell was Dr Who, Jack Warner was Dixon of Dock Green, Billy Cotton was still shouting 'Wakey Wakey', David Niven, Charles Boyer and Gig Young were 'The Rogues'. R.3 is a long forgotten sci fi show, which preceded the highlights of Winston Churchill's funeral. Ex Gunner, Walley Barnes provided commentary when the Posh vs Arsenal game was second up on Sports Special but you had to stay up late as it didn't get screened until 11.45pm!

Peterborough: 1:Willie Duff, 2:Ron Copper, 3:Graham Birks, 4:Vic Crowe, 5:Frank Rankmore, 6:Harry Orr, 7:Ron Barnes, 8:Ollie Conmy, 9:Derek Dougan, 10:Peter Deakin, 11:Peter McNamee. Manager:Gordon Clark

Arsenal: 1:Tony Burns, 2:Don Howe, 3:Fed Clarke, 4:Frank McLintock, 5:Ian Ure, 6:David Court, 7:Alan Skirton, 8:John Radford, 9:Joe Baker, 10:George Eastham, 11:George Armstrong. Manager:Billy Wright

Crystal Palace 3-1 Nottingham Forest

Fifth Round: Saturday February 20th 1965

Attendance: 41,667

Scorers: {Palace} Peter Burridge, David Burnside, Cliff Holton : {Forest} Frank Wignall

Ranked at the time: 364

Palace: 1:John Jackson, 2:Bert Lowe, 3:Terry Long, 4:John Holsgrove, 5:Alan Stephenson, 6:Peter Burridge, 7:Brian Whitehouse, 8:Ray Horobin, 9:Cliff Holton, 10:David Burnside, 11:Bobby Kellard. Manager:Dick Graham

Forest:1:Peter Grummitt, 2:Peter Hindley, 3:Dennis Mochan, 4:Henry Newton, 5:Bobby McKinlay, 6:Jeff Whitefoot, 7:Ian Storey-Moore, 8:Colin Adison, 9:Frank Wignall, 10:John Barnwell, 11:Alan Hinton. Manager:Johnny Carey

Honourable Mention

Stockport County, bottom of Division Four beat Grimsby, second in Division Three 1-0 in the Second Round on December 7th 1964 with a goal from Derek Hodgkinson. The team was,Ken Mulhearn, John Collins, Ean Cuthbert, Mike Eckersall, Colin Parry, Trevor Porteous, Tony Brooks, Frank Beaumont, Ian Sandiford, Derek Hodgkinson and Peter Phoenix

Stockport County followed that with a 3-2 third round replay against Division Three table toppers, Bristol Rovers on January 11th 1965 with Hodgkinson, Sandiford and Beaumont getting the goals in front of a crowd of nearly 20,000. Johnny Watt replaced Tony Brooks in that tie