Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888

Giant Killers


1959 - 1961

Aston Villa 2-1 Leeds United

Third Round: Saturday January 9th 1960



Ranked at the time: 405



Bradford City 3-0 Everton

Third Round: Saturday January 9th 1960



Ranked at the time: 148


Everton: 1:Albert Dunlop, 2:Alex Parker, 3:Tommy E Jones, 4:John King, 5:Brian Labone, 6:Brian Harris, 7:Jimmy Harris, 8:Frank Wignall, 9:Alan Shackleton, 10:Bobby Collins, 11:Robert Laverick

Ipswich Town 2-3 Peterborough United

Third Round: Saturday January 9th 1960

Attendance: 26,000

Scorers: {Town} Doug Milward {20}, Ted Phillips {46} : {United} Jimmy Rayner {42}, Dennis Emery {54}, {87}

Ranked at the time: 207

Town: 1:Roy Bailey, 2:Larry Carberry, 3:Ken Malcolm, 4:Reg Pickett, 5:Andy Nelson, 6:John Elsworthy, 7:Aled Owen, 8:Doug Milward, 9:Ray Crawford, 10:Ted Phillips, 11:Jimmy Leadbetter

United: 1:Tom Daley, 2:Ellis Stafford, 3:Jim Walker, 4:Roy Banham, 5:Norman Rigby, 6:Derek Chadwick, 7:Billy Hails, 8:Dennis Emery, 9:Jimmy Rayner, 10:Ray Smith, 11:Peter McNamee

Manchester City 1-5 Southampton

Third Round: Saturday January 9th 1960



Ranked at the time: 59



Watford 2-1 Birmingham City

Third Round: Saturday January 9th 1960

Attendance: 31,500

Scorers: {Watford} Dennis Uphill {6}, Cliff Holton {57} : {City} Harry Hooper

Ranked at the time: 60

Watford: 1:Jimmy Linton, 2:Bobby Bell, 3:Ken Nicholas, 4:George Catleugh, 5:Vince McNeice, 6:Sammy Chung, 7:Micky Benning, 8:Cliff Holton, 9:Dennis Uphill, 10:Barry Hartle, 11:Freddie Bunce

City: 1:Johnny Schofield, 7:Harry Hooper

West Ham United 1-5 Huddersfield Town

Third Round replay: Wednesday January 13th 1960

Attendance: 22,605

Scorers: {United} Musgrove : {Town} Les Massie {2}, Bill McGarry, Jack Connor {2}

Ranked at the time: 119

When Second Division Huddersfield failed to beat First Division West Ham at Leeds road in their cup third round tie, there was a sense of resignation among many of the Yorkshire faithful. It was just six years since the then First Division Terriers had travelled to the then Second Division Hammers and been well and truly stuffed 0-4 in one of the darkest days in Huddersfield's cup history. Two years later Huddersfield were relegated and two years after that West Ham promoted to complete the role reversal. Bill Shankly was the man tasked with getting Huddersfield back into the top flight at the dawn of the sixties.

With promotion looking increasingly unlikely by November, the Scot surprisingly resigned to take up the position as manager of Liverpool, a side two points worse off in the division than Huddersfield, thanks to Shankly's last game in charge being a 1-0 victory at Anfield. Eddie Boot was placed in temporary charge and made a good start with just one defeat in his first six games to keep the men from Leeds Road in fifth spot, without making any impact on the wide gap between them and second placed Cardiff.

West Ham thrived on the good pitches of the closing weeks of 1959 to top the First Division in November and their fans enjoyed the rare experience of talking about being crowned Champions for the first time. Then the winter kicked in, the pitches started to cut up and West Ham's polished game began to suffer as they embarked on a slow tortuous journey down the First Division table, only rarely interrupted by the occasional victory to cheer along the way. By the time they boarded the train for Huddersfield, they'd lost five of their last seven, with the manner of some of the defeats being more worrying. They conceded five goals at home to Burnley, six at Blackburn and seven at Sheffield Wednesday.

No wonder Huddersfield fans were disappointed not to win a tie that many earmarked on the day as a prime cupset. The replay was set for a wintry afternoon in East London with a healthy midweek afternoon crowd bunking off work or school early to catch the action. Most Londoners wished they'd stayed at work as Huddersfield took a remarkable revenge for their humiliation six years earlier.

West Ham started positively with both Phil Woosnam and Malcolm Musgrove both going close to opening the scoring but Huddersfield had a secret weapon and it began to clearly pay dividends as the first half unfolded. Eddie Boot had been in contact with a local rubber manufacturer that was experimenting with a new rubber soled training boot. Boot, the manager, issued the boots to his players to wear on the snow covered conditions of the Boleyn Ground. As the West Ham players began slipping and sliding all over the place, the sure footed Huddersfield men enjoyed their day.

Les Massie was first to profit and he plucked a long ball out of he air and placed it past Ray Wood to open the scoring. Bill McGarry soon made it two before Musgrove made amends for his earlier miss by getting the Hammers back in the game. A crucial killer goal from Massie on the stroke of half time knocked the resistance out of the First Division side whose misery was compounded when Denis Law laid on a fourth goal for Jack Connor two minutes into the second period.

With the tie over as a contest, the Huddersfield men enjoyed themselves at the expense of their tortured opponents whose league defensive failings were coming back to haunt them in this cup tie. Two further Huddersfield goals were chalked off before Connor hit a deserved fifth. Back in Yorkshire they could barely believe their ears to hear the result.

West Ham's miserable season didn't improve and three more teams would put five past them before the season was out with them finishing dangerously close to relegation. Huddersfield meanwhile marched on to a fourth round tie at the First Division basement club, Luton. The Hatters, cup finalists ten months earlier, hadn't been out of the relegation zone since September but yet again Huddersfield let their fans down in front of a home crowd.

A match widely tipped to see the Second Division side win, ended with a rare and welcome single goal victory for the First Division strugglers in a warm up for what would be a league fixture next season. Eddie Boot's reward however was to land the Huddersfield job on a permanent basis, keeping the club consistent enough to finish sixth and show promise that they could issue a stronger promotion push next season if they could hold on to the likes of the young talents of Denis Law.     

{image: Les Massie nets one of his two goals with Denis Law on hand to make sure. John Bond and Noel Cantwell are the powerless Hammers}

United: 1:Noel Dwyer, 2:John Bond, 3:Noel Cantwell, 4:Andy Malcolm, 5:Ken Brown, 6:John Smith, 7:Mike Grice, 8:Phil Woosnam, 9:Harry Obeney, 10:Andy Smillie, 11:Malcolm Musgrove

Town: 1:Ray Wood, 2:Brian Gibson, 3:Ray Wilson, 4:Bill McGarry, 5:Ken Taylor, 6:John Coddington, 7:Derek Hawksworth, 8:Jack Connor, 9:Denis Law, 10:Les Massie

Rotherham United 2-0 Arsenal

Third Round second replay: Monday January 18th 1960 {Hillsborough, Sheffield}

Attendance: 56,290

Scorers: Keith Kettleborough, Billy Sawyer

Ranked at the time: 323

United: 8:Keith Kettleborough, 9:Billy Sawyer


Chelsea 1-2 Aston Villa

Fourth Round: Saturday January 30th 1960



Ranked at the time: 364



Sheffield United 3-0 Nottingham Forest

Fourth Round: Saturday January 30th 1960



Ranked at the time: 298



Aston Villa 2-0 Preston North End

Quarter Final: Saturday March 12th 1960


Scorers: Gerry Hitchins, Peter McParland {77}

Ranked at the time: 302

{image: Peter McParland celebrates his clinching goal}