Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888

Giant Killers


1939 - 1948

The F A cup was played in 1946, however, due to the lack of a League Programme that season, it was decided to hold the competition with two legged ties in which the aggregate score was recorded. only one top flight team was eliminated by lower division opposition when Arsenal lost 0-6 at West Ham and 1-6 on aggregate. Charlton also lost against Fulham but won the tie on aggregate to progress to the final. The normal format was restored for 1947. It's hard to class any of the cup ties of 1946 as cupsets as many teams were missing their regular players.

Burnley 5-1 Aston Villa

Third Round: Saturday January 11th 1947

Attendance: 38,532

Scorers: {Burnley}: Billy Morris {2}, Harry Potts, Ray Morrisson {2} {Villa} John Graham

Ranked at the time: 165

Burnley: 1:Jimmy Strong, 2:Arthur Woodruff, 3:Harry Mather, 4:Reg Attwell, 5:Alan Brown, 6:George Bray, 7:Jackie Chew, 8:Billy Morris, 9:Ray Morrison, 10:Harry Potts, 11:Peter Kippax

Villa: 1:Joe Rutherford, 2:Vic Potts, 3:Ernie 'Mush' Callaghan, 4:Harry Parkes, 5:Frank Moss, 6:Ronnie Starling, 7:George Edwards, 8:Jackie Martin, 9:John Graham, 10: Dickie Dorsett, 11:Leslie Smith

{See Burnley vs Liverpool below}

Chesterfield 2-1 Sunderland

Third Round: Saturday January 11th 1947

Attendance: 27,500

Scorers: {Chesterfield}: Sid Ottewell, Dudley Milligan [image left]; {Sunderland}:Jackie Robinson: Half Time: 1-1

Ranked at the time: 226

This was arguably Chesterfield's greatest ever side as they mounted a put on a second half of the season run of form that gave them a club best fourth place finish in the Second Division. Much of that good spell of form may have comedown to this cupset of Sunderland where the former Irish International Dudley Milligan, who was actually a South African, settled the tie in the second half. Chesterfield were never able to build on this side's good form and promotion to the big time continues to elude them. In 2012 the match was consigned to the history books when Sid Ottewell, the last surviving player from the tie, passed away.

Chesterfield: 1:Ray Middleton, 2:Bill Watson, 3:Billy Kidd, 4:Syd Goodfellow, 5:Dick Cushlow, 6:Ken Booker, 7:Jackie Hudson, 8:Dudley Milligan, 9:Tom Swinscoe, 10:Sid Ottewell, 11:Harold Roberts

Sunderland: 1:Johnny Mapson, 2:Jack Stelling, 3:Jack Jones, 4:Arthur Housam, 5:Fred Hall, 6:Arthur Wright, 7:Cliff Whitelum, 8:Jackie Robinson, 9:Dickie Davis, 10:Willie Watson, 11:Eddie Burbanks

Huddersfield Town 3-4 Barnsley

Third Round: Saturday January 11th 1947

Attendance: 39,944

Scorers: {Town}: Peter Doherty {9, 35}, Albert Bateman {48}: {Barnsley} Gavin Smith {7}, Beaumont Asquith {40}, Walter Bennett {69}, Jimmy Baxter {79}

Ranked at the time: 221

The F A cup is always the last thing a struggling top flight side needs but at least the beleaguered Huddersfield fans got value for money in this exciting home defeat by Second Division Barnsley, which included a still relatively unknown Chilean born striker, Jorge Robledo. The youngster, who had been raised in Yorkshire and went by the name George, had fame awaiting him as a future cup winner with Newcastle and World cup player for his birth land but on this day he was a mere footnote as others grabbed the headlines. Early nerves looked to have been settled for the struggling Terriers when a Peter Doherty brace turned the game around from an early setback before Barnsley levelled the tie five minutes before the break. The home fans must surely have thought that Albert Bateman's early second half strike would finally kill the visitors off but when Walter Bennett's equaliser was followed with a Barnsley winner from Baxter ten minutes from time, Huddersfield's miserable season went from bad to worse. Relegation was to follow for the home side while the visitor's cup run came to a crashing halt in the next round to the tune of a six goal thumping from Preston.

Town: 1:Bob Hesford, 2:Jeff Barker, 3:George Hepplewhite, 4:Albert Bateman, 5:Eddie Boot, 6:Alan Stewart, 7:Arnold Rodgers, 8:Jimmy Glazzard, 9:Graham Bailey, 10:Peter Doherty, 11:Vic Metcalfe

Barnsley: 1:Norman Rimmington, 2:Laurie Cunningham, 3:Gordon Pallister, 4:Arthur Glover, 5:Joe Wilson, 6:Beaumont Asquith, 7: Gavin Smith, 8:Walter Bennett, 9:George Robledo, 10:Jimmy Baxter, 11:Johnny Kelly

Sheffield Wednesday 4-1 Blackpool

Third round: Saturday January 11th 1947

Attendance: 31,240

Scorers: {Wednesday}: Oscar Fox {13}, Redfern Froggatt {38, 51}, George Hunt {80}: {Blackpool} Stan Mortensen {46}

Ranked at the time: 17

{image left-Oscar Fox}

Wednesday: 1:Roy Smith, 2:Frank Westlake, 3:Hugh Swift, 4:Tommy Gale, 5:Oscar Fox, 6:Alex Wands, 7:Joe Cockcroft, 8:George Hunt, 9:Jimmy Dailey, 10:Redfern Froggatt, 11:Frankie Slynn

Blackpool:1:Jock Wallace, 2:George Farrow, 3:Harry Johnston, 4:Eddie Shimwell, 5:Eric Sibley, 6:Ron Stuart, 7:Jimmy McIntosh, 8:Willie Buchan, 9:Stan Mortensen, 10:Alec Munro, 11:George Dick

West Bromwich Albion 2-1 Leeds United

Third Round: Saturday January 11th 1947

Attendance: 31,007

Scorers: {Albion} Davy Walsh {19}, Ray Barlow {32}: {United} George Ainsley {2}

Ranked at the time: 291

Little surprise in all honesty at this victory for Albion against a Leeds side that had avoided defeat just once in twelve road trips during the season so far and who had gone down 0-6 in their last journey away from Elland Road. Despite this it looked like they were on for a morale boosting away win in the cup when George Ainsley headed them in front with some of the 31,000 crowd still making their way through the turnstiles. Within minutes Davy Walsh appealed in vain for an equaliser when his shot beat Twomey but was cleared off the line by Jim Milburn. Walsh was convinced that Milburn was behind the line but was unable to convince the referee. Undaunted, Albion took command of the game and deservedly equalised when Walsh, yet again beat Twomey. Albion were fully on the front foot and it came as no surprise when Ray Barlow put them in front on the half hour. To be fair to a deflated Leeds side they were the better team in the second half and on two occasions George Ainsley was unlucky not to equalise but Albion just shaded a tight affair. The Baggies entertained stiffer top flight opponents in Charlton in round four, The Addicks getting the best of three goals on their way to winning the cup. Leeds returned to The Hawthorns in October as a Second Division side having lost all their remaining top flight away games on the way to relegation.

Albion: 1:Jim Sanders, 2:Jimmy Pemberton, 3:Harry Kinsel, 4:Douglas Witcomb, 5:Jimmy Edwards, 6:Len Millard, 7:Billy Elliott, 8:Jim Duggan, 9:Davy Walsh, 10:Ray Barlow,11:Frank Hodgetts

United: 1:Jim Twomey, 2:Jim Milburn, 3:Ken Gadsby, 4:Gerry Henry, 5:Tom Holley, 6:Con Martin, 7:David Cochrane, 8:Aubrey Powell, 9:George Ainsley, 10:John Short, 11:Dennis Grainger

Birmingham City 1-0 Portsmouth

Fourth round: Saturday January 25th 1947

Attendance: 50,000

Scorer: Fred Harris

Ranked at the time: 290

Promotion chasing Birmingham against relegation threatened Portsmouth must have created that sinking feeling in the stomachs of the travelling Pompey fans who took their seats in the 50,000 all ticket crowd at St Andrews. The game indeed went to it's cupset plan for the home fans as Fred Hariis lobbed helpless Ernie Butler in the first half to break the deadlock before Gil Merrick dived heroically to stop Duggie Reid's late penalty to prevent the visitors from forcing a replay. Portsmouth survived and indeed began building a side that would take the club to new heights but for Birmingham there would ultimately be heartache. A five goal drubbing of promotion rivals, Manchester City in round five was followed by a quarter final exit at Liverpool but it was the Manchester club who celebrated winning the Second Division. Birmingham finished their campaign in second but needing cup finalists Burnley to lose both their remaining games. The Clarets avoided defeat in both and Birmingham were left with what might have beens.

City:1:Gil Merrick, 2:Ted Duckhouse, 3:Dennis Jennings, 4:Fred Harris, 5:Arthur Turner, 6:Don Dearson, 7:Jock Mulraney, 8:Neil Dougall, 9:Cyril Trigg, 10:Harold Bodle, 11:George Edwards

Portsmouth: 1:Ernie Butler, 2:Phil Rookes, 3:Harry Ferrier, 4:Jimmy Scoular, 5:Reg Flewin, 6:Jimmy Dickinson, 7:Jack Froggatt, 8:Duggie Reid, 9:Fred Evans, 10:Bert Barlow, 11:Cliff Parker

Manchester United 0-2 Nottingham Forest

Fourth round: Saturday January 25th 1947

Attendance: 34,059

Scorers: Eddie Barks {31}, Colin Lyman {67}

Ranked at the time: 33

A cup tie actually played at Manchester City's Maine Road, which was United's temporary home while Old Trafford was being rebuilt following it's war damage and United certainly looked like a side not playing on their familiar territory against a Forest side who dominated from start to finish. The visitors had United on the back foot right from the off and in the first ten minutes alone should have taken at least one opportunity to break the deadlock. United by contrast were playing very much on the back foot and could have no complaints when Bill Fielding was left to fish the ball out of his net courtesy of Eddie Barkes effort just after the half hour. Forest, inspired by the experienced Sailor Brown, himself a cup finalist with Charlton the previous year, maintained the high tempo to put the game beyond the hosts with just over twenty minutes to go, Coliin Lyman delivering the killer blow. That was the signal for throngs of disgruntled United fans to slowly make their way out of the stadium and into the gathering gloom of a cold Manchester winters evening on a season that would end with them missing the League Championship by a solitary point. For the delighted visiting Forest fans came a fifth round tie at home to First Division Middlesbrough in which they had to come from behind twice to force a replay. The second equaliser was a gift from, of all players, Wilf Mannion, whose dreadful back pass left his keeper with no chance of preventing an own goal. Forest's luck failed to hold upn in the North East though where Borough trounced them 6-2. These games were among the few Forest played during the worst winter in living record, which saw the reds finish their mid table Second Division season in June.

United: 1:Bill Fielding, 2:John Aston, 3:Billy McGlen, 4:Jack Warner, 5:Allenby Chilton, 6:Johnny Carey, 7:Jimmy Delaney, 8:Johnny Morris, 9:Jack Rowley, 10:Stan Pearson, 11:Ted Buckle

Forest: 1:Laurie Platts, 2:Harry Bingham, 3:Bob McCall, 4:George Pritty, 5:Ted Blagg, 6:Frank Knight, 7:Freddie Scott, 8:Robert 'Sailor' Brown, 9:Eddie Barks, 10:Jack Edwards, 11:Colin Lyman

Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Everton

Fourth Round: Saturday January 25th 1947

Attendance: 62,250

Scorers: {Wednesday}:Redfern Froggatt {5}, Charlie Tomlinson {10}, {Everton}:Eddie Wainwright {25}

Ranked at the time: 124

Wednesday: 1:Roy Smith, 2:Frank Westlake, 3:Hugh Swift, 4:John Logan, 5:Tommy Gale, 6:Joe Cockroft, 7:Ron Thompson, 8:George Hunt, 9:Jimmy Dailey, 10:Redfern Froggatt, 11:Charlie Tomlinson

Everton: 1:Ted Sagar, 2:George Jackson, 3:Norman Greenhalgh, 4:Stanley Bentham, 5:John Humphreys, 6:Peter Farrell, 7:John McIlhatton, 8:Eddie Wainwright, 9:Ephraim Dodds, 10:Wally Fielding, 11:Tommy Eglinton

Manchester City 1-0 Bolton Wanderers

Fourth Round replay: Wednesday January 29th 1947

Attendance: 39,355

Scorer: Eric Westwood

Ranked at the time: 277

Between the wars this had been the biggest game in Greater Manchester but now it was a clash between two sides in the early days of sliding under the shadow of neighbours, Manchester United. City were fighting hard to win back their top flight status, lost before the war when they became the only defending Champion in history to lose their top flight status in the season of their defence. Sam Barkas and keeper, Frank Swift remained from the team that a decade earlier had been crowned the best in the land. Bolton were an unremarkable top flight side with a very remarkable striker in whose mould every other club would build their forwards for the next decade. Nat Lofthouse was a tree trunk of a striker who was a star of the game in the making. Although City completed their cupset at Maine Road in a rather drab Wednesday afternoon affair that few who watched it would be able to recall in the years ahead, it was the match up the road at Burnden Park four days earlier that would be talked of in pubs for decades. Bolton had coasted into a two goal first half lead and seemed to be on the way to a routine cup victory only for a stirring second half City fightback. The Second Division visitors led 3-2 in the dying minutes when Bolton salvaged a replay. City crashed out in spectacular fashion at fellow giant killers, Birmingham in round five but enjoyed the last laugh by winning the Second Division title at Birmingham's expense. In 2011 George Smith was City's oldest surviving former player.

City: 1:Frank Swift, 2:Eric Williams, 3:Sam Barkas, 4:Joe Fagan, 5:Les McDowell, 6:Albert Emptage, 7:Maurice Dunkley, 8:George Smith, 9:Andy Black, 10:Tommy Capel, 11:Eric Westwood

Wanderers: 1:Stan Hansen, 2:Jackie Roberts, 3:Harry Hubbick, 4:Matt Gillies, 5:Lol Hamlett, 6:Ernie Forrest, 7:Tom Woodward, 8:Willie Moir, 9:Nat Lofthouse, 10:Don Howe, 11:Billy Wrigglesworth

Leicester City 4-1 Brentford

Fourth Round 2nd replay: Monday February 3rd 1947 {Villa Park, Birmingham}

Attendance: 7,500

Scorers: {City}: George Dewis, Mal Griffiths, Arthur Smith {2}: {Brentford} Billy Scott

Ranked at the time: 218

Some top flight teams reach a level of such deep ineptitude that to call their exit from the cup a cupset is almost unfair. Brentford in 1947 is one such example. In their final League game before facing Second Division Leicester they thumped a decent Wolves side 4-1, giving their fans every hope that a difficult season should still end with them doing enough to avoid relegation. Then the Bees manager, Harry Curtis issued a new club ruling that his players could no longer work in jobs that infringed on his weekday morning training routines because it was affecting team morale and hampering team tactics. The effects were disastrous. Before Brentford's next game, their fourth round cup tie with Leicester, half the team had issued a transfer request and team morale had plummeted. The fans at Griffin Park watched on as the Second Division visitors dominated the game but were unable to score, being forced to resume battle at Filbert Street. There too the sides could not be parted until this third meeting at Aston Villa's Villa Park where Leicester cruised through with ease. The Filberts enjoyed another replay in round five with Second Division Newcastle, whose own giant killing story would follow that tie [below] but Brentford's season disintegrated. The club ended the season with just one win in twenty games and were relegated, through surprisingly not as the bottom club. Most of the best players at Harry Curtis' disposal had left or were planning to leave and the idea of team morale had gone out the window. Upon leaving the club, George Smith stated "I was delighted to go [to QPR] Brentford was a very very unhappy place to be.

City: 1:Joe Calvert, 2:Billy Frame, 3:Joe Harrison, 4:Walter Harrison, 5:Johnny Grogan, 6:Johnny King, 7:Mal Griffiths, 8:Don Revie, 9:George Dewis, 10:Arthur Smith, 11:Charlie Adam

Brentford: 1:joe Crozier, 2:Bill Gorman, 3:Roddie Munro, 4:Archie MacAuley, 5:George Smith, 6:George Patterson, 7:Dai Hopkins, 8:Billy Scott, 9:Len Townsend, 10:George Wilkins, 11:Alan Smith

Sheffield United 0-2 Newcastle United

Quarter Final: Saturday March 1st 1947

Attendance: 46,911

Scorers: Roy Bentley {20-pen}, Jackie Milburn {28} {Half Time 2-0}

Ranked at the time: 189

It's hard to contemplate that a side with Jackie Milburn, Roy Bentley, Charlie Wayman and Len Shackleton in it could possibly be in the Second Division but these were four men still in the early stages of a career that would see all become among the most feared forwards in the country. The men from Sheffield had looked throughout the season to be a side perhaps just one or two players shy of a team capable of bringing silverware to Bramall Lane and a very colourful crowd had gathered, expectant of a passage to the semi finals. In the early stages the home side made the pace, forcing Swinburne into a good save from Forbes before Brook's attempted lob dropped atop the net but their plans came apart midway through the half when a rare Newcastle attack resulted in a spot kick, despatched by Bentley only after White had pushed the shot against a post without enough force to keep it out of the goal. Newvastle enjoyed their best spell of the game on the back of their lead and doubled their advantage just before the half hour mark when Milburn was quickest to react after Charlie Wayman's long range shot was parried out by White. The second half proved to be one way traffic as Sheffield desperately tried to get a foot hold back in the tie but Swinburne was protected well by a defence that stood firm to book a semi final spot against Charlton. Newcastle lost heavily in that game and also ended up missing out on promotion, finishing fourth.

Sheffield: 1:Fred White, 2:Fred Furniss, 3:Albert Cox, 4:Ernest Jackson, 5:Harry Latham, 6:Alex Forbes, 7:Walter Rickett, 8:Harold Brook, 9:Albert Nightingal, 10:Jimmy Hagan, 11:Colin Collindridge

Newcastle: 1:Tom Swinburne, 2:Bobby Cowell, 3:Bobby Corbett, 4:Jimmy Woodburn, 5:Frank Brennan, 6:John Wright, 7:Jackie Milburn, 8:Roy Bentley, 9:Charlie Wayman, 10:Len Shackleton, 11:Tommy Pearson

Burnley 1-0 Middlesbrough

Quarter Final replay: Tuesday March 4th 1947

Attendance: 49,224

Scorer: Billy Morris 91 {After Extra Time}

Ranked at the time: 77

{See Burnley vs Liverpool below}

Burnley: 1:George Strong, 2:Arthur Woodruff, 3:Harry Mather, 4:Reg Attwell, 5:Alan Brown, 6:George Bray, 7:Jackie Chew, 8:Billy Morris, 9:Ray Harrison, 10:Harry Potts, 11:Peter Kippax

Middlesbrough: 1:Dave Cumming, 2:Dicky Robinson, 3:George Hardwick, 4:Bell, 5:Jimmy McCabe, 6:Gordon, 7:Johnny Spuhler, 8:Wilf Mannion, 9:Mickey Fenton, 10:George Dews, 11:Alex Linwood

Burnley 1-0 Liverpool

Semi Final replay: Saturday April 12th 1947

Attendance: 72,000

Scorer: Ray Harrison {78}

Ranked at the time: 188