Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888

Giant Killers


1937 - 1939

Swindon Town 2-1 Grimsby Town

Third round replay: Wednesday January 12th 1938

Attendance: 23,101

Scorers: {Swindon} Ben Morton {85}, Alan Fowler {115}, {Grimsby} Reg Tomlinson {24}

Ranked at the time: 89

Today:Outside the top 200

Swindon: 1:Billy Bryan, 2:Arthur Tonner, 3:Jack Smith, 4:Harry Cousins, 5:George Morrell, 6:Stan Wilcockson, 7:Eddie Jones, 8:Alan Fowler, 9:Ben Morton, 10:Jack Bradley, 11:Arthur Hetherington

Grimsby: 1:George Tweedy, 2:Ned Vincent, 3:Jack Hodgson, 4:Alec Hall, 5:Harry Betmead, 6:Teddy Buck, 7:Jimmy Dyson, 8:Jackie Bestall, 9:Reg Tomlinson, 10:Charlie Craven, 11:Jackie Coulter

An expectant crowd gathered at the County Ground to see mid table Third Division South side, Swindon finish the job they had started in Cleethorpes the previous Saturday. Eddie Jones had given them the lead there but they conceded an equaliser early in the second half and were left to settle for a second chance. Grimsby's saviour, Reg Tomlinson was on hand in the replay to fire the visitors in front midway through the first half but the fates were to be against the Mariners who were first denied a penalty and then saw their main goal threat reduced to the role of passenger on the wing through injury. Swindon piled on the pressure in the closing stages but just as it seemed they would be denied, they forced extra time through Ben Morton's late equaliser. Now it was Grimsby trying to hang on for another chance but yet again Swindon left it late with Alan Fowler firing them into a fourth round trip to Second Division Luton, which they narrowly lost. Just six short years later Sergeant Alan Fowler {image left} was to lose his life in Normandy in the saddest of circumstances, dying under fire from allied aircraft.

Aston Villa 4-0 Blackpool

Fourth round: Saturday January 22nd 1938

Attendance: 69,603

Scorers: Eric Houghton {16}, Frank Broome {50}, Ronnie Starling {72}, Frank Shell {86}

Ranked at the time: 228

Aston: 1:Fred Biddlestone, 2:George Cummings, 3:Ernie Callaghan, 4:Alex Masse, 5:Bob Iverson, 6:Jim Allen, 7:Frank Broome, 8:Freddie Haycock, 9:Frank Shell, 10:Ronnie Starling, 11:Eric Houghton, Manager-Jimmy Hogan {image right-Eric Houghton [light sleeves between posts] puts Villa in front}

Blackpool: 1:Alex Roxburgh, 2:Danny Blair, 3:Dick Witham, 4:George Farrow, 5:Eric Hayward, 6:Harry Johnston, 7:Alex Munro, 8:Willie Buchan, 9:Tom Lyon, 10:Jimmy Blair, 11:Bobby Finan

See Aston Villa vs Manchester City {below}

York City 3-2 West Bromwich Albion

Fourth round: Saturday January 22nd 1938

Attendance: 18,795

Scorers: {York} Reg Baines {55-Pen, 85, 86} {West} Jack Pinder {Own Goal 25}, Ginger Richardson {67}

Ranked at the time: 122

York: 1:Norman Wharton, 2:Jack Pinder, 3:Claude Barrett, 4:Dick Duckworth, 5:Ted Wass, 6:Ted Hathway, 7:Sam Earl, 8:Jimmy Hughes, 9:Reg Baines, 10:Malcolm Comrie, 11:Peter Spooner

Albion: 1:jimmy Adams, 2:Bob Finch, 3:Cecil Shaw, 4:Jimmy Murphy, 5:Walter Robbins, 6:Jack Sankey, 7:Harry Jones, 8:Ike Clarke, 9:Billy 'Ginger' Richardson, 10:Wally Boyes, 11:Joe Johnson

See York City vs Middlesbrough {below}

Stoke City 1-2 Bradford Park Avenue

Fourth round replay : Wednesday January 26th 1938

Attendance: 7,000

Scorers: {Stoke} Frank Soo {88}: {Bradford} Stabb {17}, George Henson {70}

Ranked at the time: 193

5,000 angry Stoke fans invaded the pitch at the final whistle, chanting "We want a centre forward." after watching their strikerless side go down to promotion chasing Bradford. Both of the club's regulars in the number 9 shirt were absent through illness, leading to the young winger, Syd Peppitt taking the role but it was another understudy in the side who had to apologise to his team mates after the game. With their regular keeper also missing, Stoke fielded the relatively inexperienced Douglas Westland and he was left embarrassed when he made no attempt to save Stabb's free kick, believing it was going wide, only for it to go into the net off a post. Bradford's lead remained comfortable and was cemented in the second half by George Henson before Stoke finally woke up in the closing stages in a traditional cup tie siege that yielded only a consolation from Soo. Bradford lost to Sunderland in the next round and their pormotion push also faded before the season was out. The club have never been as close to a return to the top flight since.

Stoke:1:Douglas Westland, 2:Harold Brigham,3:Jack Challinor, 4:Arthur Tutin, 5:Jock Kirton, 6:Arthur Turner, 7:Stanley Matthews, 8:Frank Soo, 9:Syd Peppitt, 10:George Antonio, 11:Frank Baker

Bradford: 1:Chic Farr, 2:Urban Lindley, 3:Albert Ross, 4:George Stabb, 5:Bob Danskin, 6;Billy Hallard, 7:Jebez Foulkes, 8:Billy Martin, 9:George Henson, 10:Jack Wesley, 11:Tommy Lewis

York City 1-0 Middlesbrough

Fifth round: Saturday February 12th 1938

Attendance: 23,860 {record attendance}

Scorer: Peter Spooner

Ranked at the time: 122

York: 1:Norman Wharton, 2:Eddie Legge, 3:Dick Duckworth, 4:Sam Earl, 5:Ted Wass, 6:Claude Barrett, 7:Jimmy Hughes, 8:Malcolm Comrie, 9:Reg Baines, 10:Ted Hathway, 11:Peter Spooner

Middlesbrough: 1:Dave Cumming, 2:George Laking, 3:Bobby Stuart, 4:Jack Martin, 5:Bob Baxter, 6:Billy Forrest, 7:Ralph Birkett, 8:Micky Fenton, 9:George Camsell, 10:Wilf Mannion, 11:Jackie Milne

The Third Division North was once described by a club Chairman as the bankrupt division and with good reason as the clubs in that league almost all struggled to make ends meet. By 1938 things were on the up with record attendances being posted, so what better year for York to go on a sensational cup run that saw their Bootham Crescent ground record broken four times and see the clubs name appear in the draw for the semi finals. Second Division Coventry were the first of the four visitors to create a record crowd as they were beaten 2-3. York's reward was a fourth round tie with First Division West Bromwich Albion, which brought a new record crowd of over 18,000 and their first ever victory over top flight opponents in dramatic fashion. Albion looked to be home and dry as the game moved into the final five minutes, having restored a lead they had lost to a Reg Baines penalty early in the second half and facing a side with only nine fit men. Baines wasn't finished with the Baggies yet though and he headed home Dick Duckworth's freekick to level the tie. If that wasn't sensational enough, Baines struck again a minute later to complete his hat-trick and put York in front with just four minutes remaining. The furious Albion players were sure Baines was offside but couldn't sway the referee and passed out of a tie they surely could not have lost five minutes earlier. Round Five brought more First Division opposition, an even larger attendance and another memorable day when Middlesbrough arrived at Bootham Crescent. This time over 23,000 were packed into the ground as Peter Spooner's goal secured yet another scalp and booked an unthinkable quarter final place and yet another top flight visitor, Huddersfield. By now Bootham Crescent was creaking at the rafters with 28,000 fans packed in, including one particular group of mascots made up of wives, girlfriends, mothers and even the landladies of the players who sat together in a group, swapping seats with each other when they felt the game was going against them. In a ding dong battle the Minstermen hit the Huddersfield woodwork but saw their own goal frame keep the score goalless and force a replay at Leeds Road. When Huddersfield took the field for their replay in front of a packed 60,000 crowd it seemed that the whole of the nation was now against them and willing York to Wembley. This time they went down but only after giving Huddersfield yet another mighty scare, Reg Baines equalising within a minute of York going behind only for the First Division side to strike a winner with twenty-five minutes left. York finished the season in mid table but with a very healthy bank balance that suggested the side could build a promotion chasing side. Sadly it wasn't to be and the war came with York still in the third tier.

Aston Villa 4-1 Charlton Athletic

Fifth round replay: Saturday February 21st 1938

Attendance: 64,782 {played at Highbury, London}

Scorers: {Aston}: Frank Broome {3}, Freddie Haycock {Charlton} George Tadman

Ranked at the time: 128

Aston: 1:William Carey, 2:Ernie 'Mush' Callaghan, 3:George Cummings, 4:Alex Massie, 5:Jimmy Allen, 6:Bob Iverson, 7:Frank Broome, 8:Freddie Haycock, 9:Frank Shell, 10:Ronnie Starling, 11;Eric Houghton

Charlton: 1:Sam Bartram, 2:Jack Shreeve, 3:Jimmy Oakes,4:George Green, 5:Jack Oakes, 6:Don Welsh, 7:Monty Wilkinson, 8:George Robinson, 9:George Tadman: 10:Robert 'Sailor' Brown, 11:Harold Hobbs

Aston Villa 3-2 Manchester City

Sixth round: Saturday March 5th 1938

Attendance: 75,540

Scorers: {Aston}: Frank Shell [57, 85}, Freddie Haycock {72} {Manchester}:Peter Doherty {84}, Jim Allen {o.g. 90}

Ranked at the time:241

Aston: 1:Fred Biddlestone, 2:Ernie 'Mush' Callaghan, 3:William Cobley, 4:Alex Massie, 5:Jimmy Allen, 6:George Pritty, 7:Frank Broome, 8:Freddie Haycock, 9:Frank Shell, 10:Ronnie Starling, 11;Eric Houghton

Manchester: 1:Frank Swift, 2;Frank Dale, 3:Sam Barkas, 4:Jack Percival, 5:Jimmy Allen, 6:George Pritty, 7;Ernie Toseland, 8:Alex Herd, 9:Jimmy Heale, 10:Peter Doherty, 11:Eric Brook

Along with Blackburn Rovers, Aston Villa had been the last of the Football League's original twelve to lose their unbroken top flight status when both suffered relegation in 1936. A mid table season the following year acted merely as a breather before the Villans surged back towards promotion back to the elite in 1938. They also spent the season proving to the top flight that they would be no pushovers upon their return. Having kicked off their cup run with a nervy 3-2 victory over Norwich, Villa found themselves at home to relegation haunted top flight outfit, Blackpool in round four. There was little surprise when Villa proved victorious but the manner of their 4-0 demolition of the visitors had the press tipping them as dark horses to lift the cup itself in May. An away draw at mid table Charlton in round four quickly quashed those tips with a record 73,000 crowd turning up to see their side held to a 1-1 draw. Once again Villa were now tipped to progress back at Villa Park but a further two hours of Football couldn't separate the sides as they shared four goals. The third attempt to book a quarter final place came at Arsenal's Highbury ground and would turn on a horrible injury when Charlton's Harold Hobbis fractured his leg. The Addicks were a goal up through Maurice Tadman at that stage and looking comfortable but within minutes Frank Broome had levelled and it was Villa who kicked on to win the tie in the dying minutes. Freddie Haycock scored the clincher seven minutes from time before two goals in the final two minutes completed a hat-trick for Broome and added a rather harsh tilt to the result.