Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888

Giant Killers


1936 - 1938

Coventry City 2-0 Charlton Athletic

Third round: Saturday January 16th1937

Attendance: 29,118

Scorers: Billy Lake {68, 80}

Ranked at the time: 29

Today: Outside the top 100

Third Division South Champions, Coventry were enjoying life back in the second tier under the guidance of former England International, Harry Storer and hopes of making it to the promised land of First Division football for the first time were high by the time the third round of the cup came around. If the Bantams were seeking a test of their top flight credentials they didn't come much tougher than Charlton, a team who themselves had enjoyed promotion to the top flight for the first time the previous season and were taking to the big time like a duck to water, sitting second in the table behind Arsenal on goal average.

Despite Athletic's high ranking among the elite, this cupset was not of the earth shattering type and a fair few pundits suggested that The Addicks would do well to earn a replay at The Valley. In fairness to them they could probably count themselves very unlucky in the circumstances under which they were defeated, even though at the end, Coventry were the more deserving side. The Second Division outfit had enjoyed the lions share of possession without ever looking like hurting the visitors until twenty-five minutes from time when a piledriver from Welsh International, Les Jones {above} hit John Oakes full in the face, nearly knocking the Charlton half back unconscious.

At first play was allowed to continue but when Oakes collapsed, a minute later, he was carried from the field and while being treated, Coventry took the lead. City's star man, Jones was able to set up Billy Lake, who up to that point had barely got near the ball but with his tormentor, Oakes off the pitch, he had the time and space to pick his spot before firing past Sam Bartram. Oakes returned a minute later but the damage was done and with Charlton chasing an equaliser they were caught on the counter with ten minutes to go. The half back line stopped, awaiting an offside flag as Liddle went clear on the wing but the flag correctly stayed down and the winger had time to send a controlled pass to Lake to slot home from close range.

In round four it was Coventry who faced the potential banana skin from Third Division Chester and this time struggled to get going. Despite his brace against Charlton, Billy Lake was facing criticism for his poor performances in the press and his performance against the lower division side was particularly lamentable as a brace from Mason saw the Bantams through a tricky tie.

West Bromwich Albion of the top flight were the visitors in round five as a record crowd of over 44,000, which wasn't broken for another thirty years, packed into the Midlands ground for a cracker of a tie. City took the lead after Albion had squandered a penalty but ran out of legs in a spiritied display and were 1-3 down by the time Jones scored a late goal to set up a grandstand finish. Coventry failed to gain promotion to the big time in 1937 and indeed a generation would pass before they did but Leslie Jones' talents were being noticed and before the year was out Arsenal had payed a huge sum for his services. Jones would go on to be part of their 1938 title winning side.

Coventry: 1:Morgan, 2:Astley, 3:Bernard Smith, 4:Billy Frith, 5:Mason, 6:Archer, 7:Brown, 8:McDonald, 9:Billy Lake, 10:Leslie Jones, 11:Liddle

Charlton: 2:Sam Bartram, 2:Bert Turner, 3:Henry Mordey, 4;Joseph Jobling, 5:John Oakes, 6:Don Welsh, 7:Monty Wilkinson, 8:G Robinson 9:Pearce, 10:Leslie Boulter, 11:Hobbs

Portsmouth 0-5 Tottenham Hotspur

Third round: Saturday January 16th 1937

Attendance: 32,665

Scorers: John Morrison {13, 34, 41}, Arthur Duncan {80}, Les Miller {88}

Ranked at the time: 40

Today: Outside the top 100

{see Tottenham vs Everton below}

Portsmouth: 1:Strong, 2:Bill Rochford, 3:W Smith, 4:A Smith, 5:Salmond, 6:Symon, 7:Beaumont, 8:Groves, 9:Jack Weddle, 10:Jimmy Easson, 11:Parker

Tottenham: 1:Hall, 2:Ralph Ward, 3:Bill Whatley, 4:Vic Buckingham, 5:Arthur Rowe, 6:F Grice, 7:Jimmy McCormick, 8:Joe Meek, 9:John Morrison, 10:Andy Duncan, 11:Les Miller

Norwich City 3-0 Liverpool

Third round: Saturday January 16th 1937

Attendance: 26,800

Scorers: Jack Vinall {1,6} Scott {?} {half time 2-0}

Ranked at the time: 157

Today: Outside the top 400

Two sides haunted by the spectre of relegation met in a rematch of a famous cup tie from almost thirty years earlier when the Canaries had gone to Anfield and sensationally won 3-2. The two sides had never met since but few travelling Liverpool fans were bullish enough to predict revenge as their side arrived at Carrow Road for the first time in a run of poor form. They were sensationally blown away by the Second Division side within the first six minutes as Jack Vinall pounced twice to end the Red's cup run almost before it had started.

Straight from the kick off Norwich went on all out attack and within thirty seconds Alf Hobson was picking the ball out of his net with Vinall taking the congratulations of his team mates. Five minutes later a looping angled shot by the Norwich forward eluded Hobson and just crept in under the bar to double the Canaries' lead. A soft third goal, gifted by Hobson in the second half when an underhit shot by Scott was allowed to slip through his fingers and trickle into the net, capped a horrible day for the Reds who were a well beaten side by the end.

Norwich went out in extra time in a replayed fourth round tie against Bolton and returned to League action where both they and Liverpool survived their relegation battles.

Norwich: 1:Hall, 2:Tom Halliday, 3:Bowen, 4:Burke, 5:Scott, 6:Proctor, 7:Jackie O'Reilly, 8:Manders, 9:Jack Vinall, 10:Burley, 11:Owen Madden

Liverpool: 1:Alf Hobson, 2:Tom Cooper, 3:Jim Harley, 4:Matt Busby, 5:Ted Savage 6:Jimmy McDougall, 7:Berry Nieuwenhuys, 8:Harry Eastham, 9:Fred Howe, 10:Jack Balmer, 11:Alf Hanson

Millwall 3-0 Chelsea

Fourth Round: Saturday January 30th

Attendance: 41,503

Scorers: Ken Burditt {2}, Jack Thorogood

Ranked at the time: 50

Today: Outside the top 100

Millwall: 1:Duncan Yuill, 2:Ted Smith, 3:Tommy Inns, 4: Tom Brolly, 5:Jimmy Wallbanks, 6:Jimmy Forsythe, 7:Daniels, 8:Dave Mangnall, 9:Ken Burditt, 10:Jimmy McCartney, 11:Jack Thorogood


See Millwall vs Manchester City {below}

Millwall 2-1 Derby County

Fifth round: Saturday February 20th 1937

Attendance: 48,762 [Ground record]

Scorers: {Millwall}: Dave Mangnall, Jimmy McCartney, {Derby}: Keen

Ranked at the time: 30

Today: Outside the top 100

Millwall: 1:Johnny Burke, 2:Ted Smith, 3:Tommy Inns, 4: Tom Brolly, 5:Jimmy Wallbanks, 6:Jimmy Forsythe, 7:Daniels, 8:Dave Mangnall, 9:Ken Burditt, 10:Jimmy McCartney, 11:Jack Thorogood

Derby: 1:Ken Scattergood, 2:?, 3:?, 4:?, 5:?, 6:Keen, 7:Dai Astley, 8:Sammy Crooks, 9:Stockhill, 10:Charles Napier, 11:?

{See Millwall vs Manchester City below}

Tottenham Hotspur 4-3 Everton

Fifth round replay: Monday February 22nd 1937

Attendance: 46.972

Scorers: {Tottenham} John Morrison {27,83,88} Joe Meek {90}: {Everton} Tommy Lawton {2}, Billy 'Dixie' Dean {20,65} {Half Time 1-2}

Ranked at the time: 184

Today: Outside the top 400

Percy Smith had already guided Spurs to the top flight once in his career as manager at White Hart Lane but was finding it a much tougher task trying to do it for a second time when his mid table Second Division outfit were drawn away to Portsmouth in the third round of the cup. The Pompey Chimes were ringing out in the early stages when they made the expected bright start but shortly after Easson had missed a sitter it was Spurs who took a grip on the game.

John Morrison was the star of the show, bagging a first half hat-trick and although Pompey rallied in the second period it was still Spurs who put in a wonder show to finish off a five star humiliation. Plymouth Argyle were Spurs' reward in round four at a time when the south coast club were lying second in Division Two and coming as close as they ever would in the Twentieth Century to making it to the top flight.

They proved much tougher opponents than Portsmouth but White Hart Lane was delighted with a single goal victory as the band played 'Let's all have a jolly good time.' The memorable tie of this cup run came in round five where Spurs travelled to top flight mid table Everton. Memories were no doubt revived of the day that Non League Spurs had humbled a great Everton side back in 1904. this time the sides were much closer in strength and it showed as it took until the 80th minute when Jimmy McCormick bravely beat Ted Sagar to a cross and headed home. He knew little about it though, taking Sagar's fist full on and falling unconscious.

He came round to the sound of the travelling Spurs fans singing 'Cock Robin' but it was short lived as Coulter saved the Toffeemen with three minutes remaining. One press headline stated 'Spurs so nearly won it - Everton should have' Not least as the great Dixie Dean took an awful penalty when the scores were still locked at 0-0. The Spurs fans must have had mixed feelings as their team had been battered in the first half at Goodison and yet been so close to causing the cupset.

The mixed feelings were evaporated in a game that remains one of the all time greats at White Hart Lane. The day started badly for the home fans though when Everton's teenage forward, Tommy Lawton opened the scoring in the second minute and when Dean made it two in the twentieth minute the tie looked dead. Enter the hero of the Pompey tie yet again as Johnny Morrison breathed life back into Spur with a goal midway through the half. perhaps, just perhaps there was a tie to be won after all.

Then came forty-five minutes of the most exciting football the Lane has ever enjoyed. it started in controversy as Tommy Lawton burst through and just when it seemed certain he would put the tie beyond doubt, he was tripped. Everton had a stonewall penalty. Dean put the ball on the spot and waited while the Spurs players protested furiously, trying to draw the referee's attention to the linesman frantically flagging. The ref obliged and returned to astonish the Everton players by awarding a throw to Tottenham.

A foul throw had almost gone unnoticed in the build up to the penalty and Spurs could breathe again. Within minutes Morrison looked to have saved the tie but the players were again stunned when the referee chalked the goal off, citing a foul on an Everton defender that few saw. A minute later the tie surely was finally dead when Geldard's cross eluded a tiring Spurs defence and was slotted home by Dean. Tottenham plugged away but there seemed little hope until they caught a break from the referee.

Seven minutes remained when a through ball to Morrison seemed certain to result in an offside flag. It didn't and with a static Everton defence watching on, Morrison slotted home his second of the game, perhaps balancing out the harshness of his earlier disallowed effort. Everton were like a champion that had taken a severe body blow and when Grice laid on a chance for Joe Meek to equalise with barely two minutes remaining the stadium went barmy.

Extra time now surely loomed and it looked like an extra half hour the visitors no longer had the stomach for. They needn't have worried because Spurs spared them with a last gasp winner that rounded off one of the club's greatest fighbacks. The fact that Spurs went on to lose their quarter final at home to top flight Preston in front of a record 71,000 crowd can only be a mere footnote after such a game but it should be mentioned that the foundations of the 1-3 defeat only came on the back of goal hero, Morrison being forced off the field with a gashed leg.

Johnny Morrison passed away in 1984 having unearthed some of Spurs best talents of the 50s and 60s as a scout. {image above: John Morrison in League action for Spurs}

Tottenham: 1:Hall, 2:Ralph Ward, 3:Bill Whatley, 4:Vic Buckingham, 5:Arthur Rowe, 6:F Grice, 7:Jimmy McCormick, 8:Joe Meek, 9:John Morrison, 10:Andy Duncan, 11:Les Miller

Everton: 1:Ted Sagar, 2:Billy Cook, 3:Jack Jones, 4:Cliff Britton, 5:Charlie Gee, 6:Joe Mercer, 7:Albert Geldard, 8:Jimmy Cunliffe, 9:Billy 'Dixie' Dean, 10;Tommy Lawton, 11:Torry Gillick

Millwall 2-0 Manchester City

Quarter Final: Saturday March 6th 1937

Attendance: 42, 474

Scorers: Dave Mangnall {2}

Ranked at the time:8

Today: Inside the top 30

Millwall: 1:Johnny Burke, 2:Ted Smith, 3:Tommy Inns, 4: Tom Brolly, 5:Jimmy Wallbanks, 6:Jimmy Forsythe, 7:Barker, 8:Dave Mangnall, 9:Ken Burditt, 10:Jimmy McCartney, 11:Reg Smith

Manchester City: 1;Frank Swift, 2:?, 3:Sam Barkas, 4:Rogers, 5:Jackie Bray, 6:Bobby Marshall, 7:Peter Doherty, 8:Alec Herd, 9:Fred Tilson, 10:?, 11:Peter Doherty