Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888

 Giant Killers


1934 - 1936

Aston Villa 1-3 Bradford City

Third round: Saturday January 12th 1935

Attendance: 30,785

Scorer: {Bradford} John Hallows 32, Charlie Keetley {image left} 44, ?: {Aston} Bud Hamilton own goal ? {Half Time 0-2}

Ranked at the time:208

A young George Swindin took the field for struggling second division Bradford at mid table top flight Villa on third round day in what was his first ever cup tie. Over the next twenty years he would go on to win two League titles with Arsenal and a cup winners medal in 1950. Here Swindin was still a relatively unknown youngster who was highly relieved when the referee adjudged that a Pongo Waring shot had not crossed the line before being cleared by Charlie Bicknell. Impartial observers felt the ref had got it wrong and it looked a costly decision when the visitors took a two goal lead into the interval. Swindin was beaten again by his own full back, Northern Ireland International, Bud Hamilton early in the second half but Villa were reduced to ten men when losing Waring, their best player on the day, to injury and were finally sunk when Charlie Keetley caught them on the counter to score his second and Bradford's third goal. Bradford themselves became cupset victims in round four when losing a fourth round replay at Third Division Stockport but managed to retain their Second Division status.

Aston:1:Harry Morton, 2:George Beeson, 3:Danny Blair, 4:Tommy Gardner, 5:Jimmy Allen, 6:Billy Kingdon, 7:Eric Houghton, 8:Brocklehurst, 9:Pongo Waring, 10:Dai Astley, 11:Reg Chester

Bradford: 1:George Swindin, 2:Charlie Bicknell, 3:Bud Hamilton, 4:Charlie Moore, 5:Alf Peachey, 6:Charles Mitchell, 7:Joe Spence, 8:John Hallows, 9:Harry Adamson, 10:Charlie Keetley, 11:George Murphy

Swansea Town 4-1 Stoke City

Third Round: Saturday January 12th 1935

Attendance: 20,200

Scorers: {Swansea}: S Lowery {46}, {83}, Hughie Blair {57}{image right courtesy NIFG} , Walter Bussey {77}: {Stoke}: Stanley Matthews {4}

Ranked at the time: 33

Today: Outside the top 100

A tiny glimmer in an otherwise dark era in Swansea's history came with a comprehensive victory over a Stoke side that were just starting to realise what a diamond they had in the young Stan Matthews. The wizard of dribble got them off to a perfect start in front of a bumper crowd at the Vetch and, with the home side being a very fragile outfit struggling at the wrong end of the Second Division, there was little reason to suggest the Welshmen could turn the situation around. Stoke should have doubled their lead before the break but Swansea, whose play was much improved on their league form, had shown great character and got the perfect start to the second half when Lowery levelled. The noise in the vetch spurred the home side on and when former Irish International, Hughie Blair put them in front just before the hour, Stoke were reeling. Walter Bussey all but settled the tie with a third before Lowery, the club bad boy who had been fined earlier in the season for assaulting a tram driver, sealed a stunning victory. Manager Neil Harris had been a goal scoring, cup winning captain a decade earlier but his first season in charge at The Vetch been a difficult one on the road, with just one victory so there was little hope when drawn away to top flight Derby in round four. Sure enough the Swans' cup bid ended at The Baseball Ground, leaving Harris free to concentrate on keeping the club in Division Two. They survived but came perilously close to going bust that summer.

Swansea: 1:J Walton, 2:Sid Lawrence, 3:Wilfred Milne, 4:Jack Warner, 5:Harry Hanford, 6:Joe Lloyd, 7:Hughie Blair, 8:Walter Bussey, 9:?, 10:Joe Sykes, 11:S Lowery {Manager}:Neil Harris

Stoke: 1:Norman Lewis, 2:Bob Mcgrory 3:William Spencer, 4:Arthur Tutin, 5:Harry Sellars, 6:Arthur Turner, 7:Stan Matthews, 8:Robert Liddle, 9:Tommy Sale, 10:Harry Davies, 11:Joe Johnson

Luton Town 2-0 Chelsea

Third Round Replay: Wednesday January 16th 1935

Attendance: 23,041

Scorers: Jack Ball, Fred Roberts {half time 0-0}

Ranked: 94

Today: Outside the top 200

Controversy overshadowed the first meeting of these two sides at Stamford Bridge when struggling Chelsea were ten minutes away from being dumped out by Third Division promotion chasers, Luton before Argue salvaged a replay at Kenilworth Road. The excitement at the prospect of a cup shock was however tempered by the sense of injustice in Luton's goal when Bell's shot crashed off a post and rolled along the goal line. The referee gave a goal, much to the astonishment of the Chelsea defenders and spectators behind the goal alike, although Luton fans and players later argued that Bell would almost certainly have put the rebound into the net if the referee had not already signalled that the ball had crossed the line. Film footage later confirmed the goal should not have stood and added fuel to a debate at the time calling for a second referee in games. Chelsea could have no compaints in the replay which Luton dominated. Two second half goals, seven minutes apart gave the home side a deserved victory, despite Reece being reduced to the role of virtual spectator on the wing through injury twenty-five minutes from the end. The reward was a trip to Second Division Burnley in round four where The Hatters gave as good as they got in the first half before going down 1-3.

Luton: 1:Joe Coen {image right}, 2:Smith,, 3:Reece, 4:Brown, 5:McGinnigle, 6:Charles Fraser, 7:Wilf Crompton, 8:Bell, 9:Jack Ball, 10:Fred Roberts, 11:Stephenson

Chelsea: 1:Jackson, 2:George Barber, 3:Bob McAulay, 4:Russell, 5:Craig, 6:Harold Miller, 7:Dick Spence, 8:Jimmy Argue, 9:Joe Bambrick, 10:Gibson, 11:Horton

Bristol City 2-0 Portsmouth

Fourth Round Replay: Wednesday January 30th 1935

Attendance: 42,885 [official ground record] over 50,000 unofficially

Scorers: Teddy Harston 76 , Jack Hodge, 86

Ranked at the time: 31

Today: Outside the top 100

Few in Bristol had given City any chance of getting even a draw at Portsmouth in the fourth round to the extent that Billy Wedlock, the much respected hero of the club's 1909 cup final team, and by 1935, local Publican, had stated that he himself would roll the Ashton Gate pitch in preparation for their next match if City got a result. He was true to his word after the Third Division side had come through a sterile ninety minutes at Fratton Park for this fourth round replay, which brought the city to a standstill. Shops and offices closed in anticipation of the game as if it were the best team in the land who were due to visit. In truth it was a relatively unremarkable mid table Pompey side who were making the journey but they would field ten of the side who had played in, and lost the cup final the previous season and in the thirties the cup finalists of the previous campaign remained a big attraction. Long before kick off it was clear that Ashton Gate was set for a record attendance and there was little chance of everyone getting in. The streets outside the ground were a throng of humanity with it all becoming too much for some as local man and City season ticket holder Malcolm Pearce later recalled to the Bristol Evening Post. Six Pompey fans knocked on his grandmother, Ada Greenland's door at 61 Aston Road asking to use her toilet, as much to get out of the crush as anything else. Ada did more than let them use the loo, She showed the to the back of the house where the upstairs bedroom at that time offered a perfect view over the ground. The six delighted Pompey fans, complete with club favours, bellowed out Pompey songs while being treated to tea and dinner. Mr Pearce recalled his gran stating that the men were "Quite well to do." and that "She refused to take any money from them when they left, but later she found that they had left what it would have cost them for tickets, and a note saying thank you." The huge crowd trying to get in had to go somewhere and with the game barely a minute old they found that somewhere to go when the shilling enclosure gates broke under the pressure and thouands found their way in. Fans spilled out onto the pitch and referee, Mr Milward had no choice but to call a halt to the play while the police and St John's ambulance volunteers organised the crowd to move back beyond the touchlines. In a scene reminiscent of the cup final twelve years earlier, the match was played inside a wall of people with the linesmen barely having space to move past the touchline based spectators. miraculously no major injuries were reported and the fans stayed good humoured as the game seemed certain to go to extra time and even a second replay. Pompey had missed a glorious chance to break the deadlock early on but little else had happened to excite the mass until fourteen minutes from time when Jack Hodge's cross was met with a perfect headed goal by Teddy Harston. From that moment the noise was defeaning at the sense that a shock was on the cards and it was confirmed late on when Hodges himself bagged the clincher. Jack Tinn's Pompey took the defeat in good heart and left the scene almost unnoticed as the throng swallowed the pitch at the final whistle. While all the City players were hailed as heroes there was none more so than Riley who had bravely opted to play despite the death of his baby son three days earlier. City's official attendance record was broken again in round five when Preston visited, although that audience did not include 10,000 free guests. City forced another replay and in their ninth match in the competition that season, bowed out in a thumping five goal defeat.

Bristol:1:Bill Dolman, 2:Roberts, 3:Bridge, 4:Riley, 5:Pearce, 6:Brinton, 7:Jack Hodge, 8:Banfield, 9:Teddy Harston, 10:Landells, 11:Chiney

Portsmouth: 1:Jock Gilfillan, 2:Alec Mackie, 3:Billy Smith, 4:Jimmy Nichol, 5:Salmond, 6:David Thackeray, 7:Fred Worrall, 8:Jack Smith, 9:Jack Weddle, 10:Jimmy Easson, 11:Septimus Rutherford

Leeds United 1-2 Norwich City

Fourth Round Replay: Wednesday January 30th 1935

Attendance: 27,000

Scorers: {Leeds}: Arthur Hydes {21}, {Norwich}: Jack Vinall {18}, Ken Burditt {71}

Ranked at the time: 146

Exciting times at Norwich as the Canaries won promotion from the Third Division for the first time in their history in 1934 under the guidance of former Arsenal Championship and cup winner, Tom Parker. Not surprisingly the Arsenal legend brought his Highbury knowledge to the Nest to turn Norwich into the best side the club had produced to that time. despite this their first ever F A cup tie as a Second Division club had seen them play very poorly against Non League Bath City, a game they were very fortunate to win 2-0. The fourth round was the complete opposite. First Division Leeds were coasting to a comfortable victory with a 2-0 lead at half time but then lost Furness to injury early in the second half. Norwich made the extra manpower pay to clinical effect and turned the game on its head to lead 3-2 before a last gasp equaliser from Tom Cochrane gave Leeds a replay few could begrudge them. There would be no excuses in the return at Elland Road where Norwich were by far the better side. The Canaries took advantage when jack Milburn took an air shot at a clearance and gifted Jack Vinall the chance to open the scoring, though the home side were quick to respond and equalise through Arthur Hydes. Norwich pressed hard in the second half and deservedly won the game through Ken Burditt with just under twenty minutes remaining. Leeds pressed hard for an equaliser and saw three good chances squandered in the final minutes before accepting defeat. Norwich faced another First Division side in round five when up against Sheffield Wednesday. That tie against the Owls, which was won by the visitors, proved to be the last cup tie played at The Nest. the ground was packed with a record crowd and it didn't go unnoticed by the F A who wrote to the club the following month expressing concern that the ground wasn't suitable for large crowds. Norwich agreed and before the year was out they relocated to Carrow Road, leaving the nest to deriliction before it was demolished in the forties.

Leeds: 1:Stan Moore, 2:Bert Sproston, 3: Jack Milburn, 4:Willis Edwards, 5:Jock McDougall, 6:Tom Neal, 7:Jack Mahon, 8:Joe Firth, 9:Mick Kelly 10:Arthur Hydes, 11:Tom Cochrane {Manager: Dick Ray}

Norwich: 1:Norman Wharton, 2:Halliday, 3:Bowen, 4:Bernard Robinson, 5:Scott, 6:Duggie Lochhead, 7:Alf Kirchen, 8:Ken Burditt, 9:Jack Vinall, 10:Houghton, 11:Jack Russell {Manager:Tom Parker}

Bolton Wanderers 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur

Fifth Round 2nd Replay: February 25th 1935: Villa Park, Birmingham

Attendance: 26,692

Scorers: Ray Westwood, Walton 70

Ranked at the time: 227

{See Everton vs Bolton: below}

Bolton: 1:Jones, 2:Joe Smith, 3:Connor, 4:Harry Goslin, 5:Jack Atkinson, 6:G. Taylor, 7:G. T. Taylor, 8:George Eastham, 9:Walton, 10:Ray Westwood, 11:Willie Cook

Tottenham: 1:A Taylor, 2:Frederick Channell, 3:Bill Whatley, 4:A Day, 5:Les Howe, 6:Walter Alsford, 7:Jimmy McCormick, 8:A. G. Hall, 9:A Hunt, 10:Taffy O'Callaghan, 11:Foster Hedley {image above: Hunt and Hall, hooped shirts, are thwarted by the Bolton defence [Daily Express]}

Everton 1-2 Bolton Wanderers

Quarter Final: Saturday March 2nd 1935

Attendance: 67,696

{ground record}

Scorers: {Everton}: Jackie Coulter, 82 {Bolton}: Jack Milsom, 38, George Eastham, 50

Ranked at the time: 195

{Image right: a record Goodison Park crowd are on the touchlines watching Bolton keep Everton at bay}

Bolton were the toughest draw outside the top flight in the 1935 F A cup, having managed to keep the majority of the side relegated in 1933 together only to miss out on promotion straight back into the top flight in 1934 by a point. This season Bolton were top of the table when they were drawn away to Tottenham in round five. Spurs were looking increasingly likely to pass the Trotters on their way down out of the top flight. Hardly surprising then that Bolton perhaps entered the tie as the slight favourites to win at White Hart Lane. A close match ended in a 1-1 draw with a replay set for Burnden Park. Tottenham were seconds away from surviving a tough examination on a bog of a pitch when Ray Westwood scrambled home a last gasp equaliserin that replay to force extra time that neither side looked equipped for. The Trotters had spent most of the second half down to ten men with George Eastham off the pitch injured. Spurs too were as good as down to ten men with George Hunt hobbling on the wing. By the end of extra time the players hardly had the energy to crawl off the pitch as the fans gave them a standing ovation. The cost on both sides was high with Tottenham missing four first team players for the second replay while Bolton would have to do without the services of centre forward, Jack Milsom. Aston Villa's Villa Park was chosen as the neutral venue for the second replay but both sides were unhappy with the selection of a pitch that they felt was on the edge of unplayable. Spurs, in their unfamiliar hooped shirts struggled without their regular first teamers and went behind early on when Ray Westwood reacted first when his shot hit the post to stab home the rebound. Jack Milsom's replacement, Walton put the game beyond Spurs twenty minutes from time, though the relegation doomed Londonders gave it their best shot in the closing stages. Bolton's reward was a quarter final trip to Everton. The Merseysiders went into the game with just one home defeat in twenty-four games and Goodison Park was considered by their fans something of a fortress. Indeed the Toffeemen's most optimistic fans among the record crowd that packed the stadium still believed that the League and cup double wasn't beyond them as they trailed League leaders, Arsenal by six points, albeit in seventh place. Jack Milsom was back for Bolton and they played a great game to keep out wave after wave of Everton pressure. The home side squandered several chances before Bolton took the lead on thirty-eight minutes when a cracking twenty-five yard drive from Milsom beat the Toffees stand in keeper, Bradshaw. Goodison Park was rocked five minutes into the second half when, in the space of a few seconds Bolton survived by the skin of their teeth and then doubled their lead. Everton had started the second half strongly and Cunliffe should have scored, hitting the ball straight at Jones with the goal at his mercy. The rebound cleared the penalty area and suddenly George Eastham was one on one with Bradshaw, firing low and clean past the keeper to make it 2-0. Bolton now had something to defend but were unable to keep Everton out totally. With seventeen minutes left the home side thought they were back in the tie but the referee correctly ruled Cunliffe's goal out for a foul on Jones by Dean. The goal did come eight minutes from time in fortuitous fashion when a scramble led to Jackie Coulter stabbing the ball home off Jone's legs.Those last eight minutes were desperate ones for the Bolton fans as they hung on for dear life to keep Everton out and earn a semi final tie with West Bromwich Albion. Bolton came agonisingly close to earning a trip to Wembley but a 1-1 draw at Elland Road meant a second crack at the whip at Stoke. This time Bolton's backs to the wall approach couldn't hold and they cracked to a 0-2 defeat. The Trotters had shown they were ready to mix it with the elite clubs again through their cup antics and promotion at the end of the season was only tainted by their missing out on winning the division to Brentford.

Everton: 1:George Bradshaw, 2:Billy Cook, 3:Jack Jones, 4:Cliff Britton, 5:Charlie Gee, 6:Jock Thomson, 7:Albert Geldard, 8:Jimmy Cunliffe, 9:Dixie Dean, 10:Alex Stevenson, 11:Jackie Coulter

Bolton:1:Jones, 2:Joe Smith, 3:Alex Finney, 4:Harry Goslin, 5:Jack Atkinson, 6:G. Taylor, 7:G. T. Taylor, 8:George Eastham, 9:Jack Milsom, 10:Ray Westwood, 11:Willie Cook

Burnley 3-2 Birmingham City

Quarter Final: Saturday March 2nd 1935

{Image left: Down but not out as Frank White pulls the trigger to put Birmingham two goals up}

Attendance: 47,670

Scorers: {Burnley}: Ron Hornby {50}, James Hancock {61, ?} {Birmingham}: Wilson Jones {18}, Frank White {25}

Ranked at the time: 229

Burnley were down and out of this quarter final tie at Turf Moor at half time. Relegation strugglers, Birmingham were two goals up and needed merely to keep their mid table Second Division opponents contained to see themselves into the semi finals of the cup. The Burnley players must have been acutely aware as they sat in their dressing room at half time that the biggest day since the club had been relegated from the top flight five years earlier had gone flat. Whatever, if anything, manager, Tom Bromilow said to his players in that interval, it worked. The manager, who had been a key member of Liverpool's back to back title wins in the twenties had been unable to sprinkle the magic dust on his Burnley side but in the next forty-five minutes they were excellent as James Hancock inspired them to an unlikely victory. Ron Hornby started the fightback five minutes into the second half with a speculative shot that decieved Harry Hibbs but it was when Hancock dived full length to get on the end of Downes' cross to level the scores that the Burnley fans must have felt the game was theirs. Hancock crashed into the post in scoring and was left unconcious but when he came round he refused to leave the field for treatment, insisting on carrying on to help finish the job. And that's just what he did when he finished off a great move by James Brown who just managed to keep the ball in play before crossing for Hancock to head home the winner. It was a sensational turnaround that required mounted policemen to keep order at the end as the crowd chanted for the players to come back out of the dressing room to take a bow. The semi final draw took them to Villa Park in Birmingham to face cup favourites, Sheffield Wednesday. The Clarets cup final dreams were shattered by three Owls' goals and at the end of the season Bromilow moved on. Goalkeeper, Alex Scott also accepted a move to Wolves for £1,250 where he did get to the cup final four years later.

Burnley: 1:Alex Scott, 2:Gilbert Richmond, 3:George Waterfield, 4:James Brown, 5:Thomas Wallace, 6:Alick Robinson, 7:James Hancock, 8:G Brown, 9:Cecil Smith, 10:Ron Hornby, 11:Percy Downes {Manager:Tom Bromilow}

Birmingham: 1:Harry Hibbs, 2:Harold Bootan 3:Ned Barkas, 4:Lewis Stoker, 5:Tom Fillingham, 6:Charlie Calladine, 7:Frank White, 8:Fred Harris, 9:Wilson Jones. 10:Joe Bradford, 11:Billy Guest

Honourable mention

Carlisle United 1-6 Wigan Athletic

First Round: Saturday November 24th 1934

Wigan had a troubled Football history by the 1930s. Four attempts had already been made to bring stable Football to the town with Wigan Borough proving the most successful, even gaining access to the Football League before the club went bust in 1931. Wigan Athletic were quickly formed as the next attempt to keep Football in the town, joining the Cheshire League and retaining the same red and white halved shirts of their predecessors, as well as moving into Springfield Park. The new club reached the First Round of the FA cup for the first time in 1934, being drawn away to Third Division North Carlisle United. Their 6-1 walloping of their League opponents must have made them think this cup lark was easy. They went on to defeat Torquay in round two before going down in round three at home to Millwall. Wigan took with them the honour of the biggest cup victory by a non-league side over league opponents, a record that stands to this day.