Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888



1928 - 1930

Swindon Town 2-0 Newcastle United

Third round: Saturday January 12th 1929

Attendance: 17,689

Scorers: Harry Morris {31,62}

Ranked at the time: 56

Today: Outside the top 200

{See Swindon vs Burnley below}

Swindon: 1:Ted Nash, 2:Wally Dickenson, 3:Tommy Wylie, 4:David Low, 5:Danny Bew, 6:Bob Archer, 7:Bertie Denyer, 8:Joe Eddleston, 9:Harry Morris, 10:Les Roberts, 11:Alec Thom

Newcastle: 1:Mick Burns, 2:Alf Maitland, 3:Bob Thomson, 4:William Carlton, 5:Ossie Park, 6:Joe Harris, 7:Tommy Urwin, 8:Jimmy Boyd, 9:Hughie Gallacher, 10:Jock McCurley, 11:Tommy Lang

Chelsea 2-0 Everton

Third round: Saturday January 12th 1929

Attendance: 61,316

Scorers: Jimmy Thompson {81}, Harold Miller {87}

Ranked at the time: 109

{See Chelsea vs Birmingham}

Chelsea: 1:, 2:George Smith, 3:Tommy Law, 4:, 5:Jack Townrow, 6:Willie Ferguson, 7:Jackie Crawford, 8:, 9:Jimmy Thompson, 10:Harold Miller, 11:George Pearson : Manager: David Calderhead

Everton: 1:Arthur Davies, 2:Warney Cresswell, 3:Jack O‘Donnell, 4:Tom Griffiths, 5:Hunter Hart, 6:Albert Virr, 7:Harry Ritchie, 8:Jimmy Dunn, 9:Bill ‘Dixie’ Dean, 10:Tony Weldon, 11:Jimmy Stein

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-1 Mansfield Town

Third round: Saturday January 12th 1929

Attendance: 20,000

Scorer: Edwin McLachlan {26}

Ranked at the time: 151

In 1929 the Midland League was considered among the top junior Leagues in the land and Mansfield's recent success in that division had led them to make four applications for Football League membership during the roaring twenties without getting close to acceptance. This season, under Jack Hickling, they were flying toward another Midland League title when they achieved their first ever victory in the F A cup proper when reaching the second round where another first was achieved when Barrow became their first ever Football League scalp. Mansfield were in the cup's big time for the first time and landed a trip to second division strugglers, Wolves. The home side were very much a name from another era having not kicked a ball among the elite for twenty-three years and slumping to their first season among the associate members of the third tier in 1923. The Wolves had won the cup as a second division outfit in 1908 but were very much considered a side more likely to drop into division three again than climb back to their Edwardian glory days. For Mansfield a victory here would surely send the message to the League that their membership would be valued next season, their current Midland League position and the victory over Barrow having already made up the director's minds. In the sunshine at Molineux the Stags put the Wolves to the sword with an excellent first half display followed by a physical second half performance that their second division opponents lacked the stomach for. The only goal came midway through the first period when Richard Cooke's cross was just too high for Shaw to get a clearing header on, the ball falling perfectly to the feet of Edwin McLachlan to easily beat Norman Lewis with a well drilled half volley. Wolves did give their fans hope with a late rally as the Mansfield part timers tired late on but had little complaint at the end with their defeat, which brought the Stags to the attention of the national press for the first time. When asked by the media what the Stag's secret was, their canny manager announced that it was all down to a magic potion of eggs and milk before each game. The press even photographed the players armed with glasses of the concoction, which was actually a total nonsense and highly amusing to all involved with the club who knew better. The draw delivered the tie Mansfield had dreamed of in the fourth round with their first ever meeting with a top flight side when they were given a trip to the Arsenal. The Gunners were on the brink of a period of success that would catapult them from small club to the giant they are to this day. Even in 1929 though a trip to Highbury was a great experience as it was already among one of the great stadiums of the land and Mansfield's visit attracted great media attention. A victory for the Stags at Highbury would have gone down among the greatest cup upsets of all time and would all but ensure their place in the Football League next season but the chance was missed when Chris Staniforth missed the chance to open the scoring from a first half penalty. In front of the biggest crowd that Mansfield have ever played in front of the visitors put in an excellent display before two late goals settled the tie for the top flight Gunners. Mansfield left the ground satisfied that they had finally put their name on the map and when the Midland League was comfortably won that season they felt a place in the League was theirs. In the hours leading up to the vote it became increasingly clear that the League had lost patience with struggling and cash strapped Ashington who would not secure the votes needed to retain their place. Mansfield were the obvious replacement but their directors were stunned when the polling recorded that York City, a humble Midland League outfit that had finished tenth that season and had no great cup pedigree themselves, had secured the coveted League spot. The Mansfield directors felt justifiably robbed but took with them an important lesson that League placing and good cup pedigree meant nothing compared to creating good relations with League directors as York had done. Those lessons paid off two years later when Mansfield were finally granted the League membership their play throughout the twenties had deserved.

Wolverhampton: 1:Norman Lewis, 2:Harry Shaw, 3:Dai Richards, 4:Bill Brown, 5:Reg Hollingworth, 6:Albert Kay, 7:Harry Marshall, 8:Frank Green, 9:Reg Weaver, 10:Len Williams, 11:Thomas Baxter

Mansfield: 1:, 2:, 3:, 4:, 5:, 6:Harry Morris, 7:Richard Cooke, 8:Edwin McLachlan, 9:Orris, 10:, 11: {Manager-Jack Hickling}

Reading 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Fourth round: Saturday January 26th 1929

Attendance: 25,248

Scorer: Bill Johnstone {75}

Ranked at the time: 12

Today: Inside the top 70

Reading: 1:Joe Duckworth, 2:Ted Smith, 3:Alf Messer, 4:Sid Chandler, 5:Bill Inglis, 6:Tommy Meads, 7:Harry Goodwin, 8:Murdo McDonald, 9:Bill Johnstone, 10:John Hunter, 11:Bert Oswald

Sheffield Wednesday: 1:Jack Brown, 2:Tommy Walker, 3:Ernie Blenkinsop, 4:Alf Strange, 5:Tommy ‘Tony‘ Leach, 6:Billy Marsden, 7:Mark Hooper, 8:Jimmy Seed, 9:Jack Allen, 10:Bob Gregg, 11:Ellis Rimmer

Chelsea 1-0 Birmingham City

Fourth round: Saturday January 26th 1929

Attendance: 55,953

Scorers: Harold Miller {8}

Ranked at the time: 207

Five years after being relegated from the elite tier the West Londoners gave their fans a hint that they might just be worthy of a return to the top table with a cup run that put paid to two top flight clubs and held a third to a draw before going out. David Calderhead's men had delivered a succession of near misses at promotion in the years since and The Sphinx of Stamford Bridge as the Chelsea chief was known, had put the side in a great position for promotion again this time. The Blues had topped the table before suffering their first home defeat of the season against Blackpool the week before the third round cup tie against League Champions, Everton. The Merseysiders had so far failed to maintain the form that took them to the title the previous year, being shown to be much too relaint on the goals od Dixie Dean. The true, though not always easy belief was, stop Dean, stop Everton. In the first half Chelsea performed well in stifling the Everton attack but rarely threatened the visitors goal themselves and when the Champions began to dominate in the second half the huge 61,000 crowd, the biggest of the tie and including many members of the gentry, watched the latter stages of the game believing that the best the home side could do was hang on for a replay. While Chelsea may have been hoping to hang on Everton by contrast started to relax, looking increasingly like a side happy to see the game out and finish the tie at Goodison Park and Chelsea made them pay dearly. With nine minutes to go the static Evertonian's were made to pay when Jimmy Thompson danced through and fired Chelsea into a shock lead. Everton were stunned into a sudden burst of energy to try and save the game, with Dean hitting the post but Chelsea had the last laugh when Harold Miller split the defence and gave Arthur Davies no chance from close range. Chelsea were back on top of the Second Division by the time Birmingham arrived for the fourth round. The Midlanders were having an awful season and, with relegation looking likely, were seen as perfect prey for the home side. Chelsea struck early this time when Harold Miller headed Jackie Crawford's cross past Hibbs to set the tone for an open exciting contest, which Chelsea shaded although Hicks came agonisingly close to a late equaliser when hitting the bar. In round five Chelsea were yet again at home, this time to a Portsmouth side who were rock bottom of the top flight and considered doomed both in the League and cup when they arrived at Stamford Bridge. By the time of the tie Chelsea were embarking on an incredible slump that saw their seemingly inevitable promotion disintegrate into an eighth place finish. The disappointment of that slump was compounded by their defeat in a replay at Pompey to see their season unravel. Yet another golden opportunity to get back to the top flight had been missed but Chelsea wouldn't miss out again, earning promotion in 1930.

Chelsea: 1:Sam Millington, 2:George Smith, 3:Tommy Law, 4:, 5:Jack Townrow, 6:Willie Ferguson, 7:Jackie Crawford, 8:, 9:Jimmy Thompson, 10:Harold Miller, 11:George Pearson

Birmingham: 1:Harry Hibbs, 2:Ned Barkas, 3:Jackie Randall, 4:George Liddell, 5:Jimmy Cringan, 6:, 7:George Morrall, 8:Johnny Crosbie, 9:Theo ‘Tot‘ Pike, 10:Joe Bradford, 11:George Hicks

Swindon Town 3-2 Burnley

Fourth round replay: Wednesday January 30th 1929

Attendance: 24,730

Scorers: {Swindon}: Wally Dickenson {41-pen}, Joe Eddleston {50}, Harry Morris {57} {Burnley}: George Beel {26}, Joe Devine {28}

Ranked at the time: 45

Today: Outside the top 100

Swindon's cup run of 1929 was the first major excitement at the County Ground since the Edwardian days prior to World war one and rekindled memories of their great cup runs of that time as they were drawn in round three to face Newcastle, the team who had denied them a cup final appearance nineteen years earlier. A packed County Ground was bathed in winter sunshine as the two teams emerged, both running the gauntlet of a rogue terrier that had been loosed onto the pitch before Newcastle were forced to feel the bite of Swindon's legendary striker, Harry Morris. No player before or since has scored more goals for Town than Morris and he helped himself to two in this tie, the first after a great burst throught the Newcastle defence which ended when he fired the ball high over a helpless Mick Burns just after the half hour. Morris was the difference again in the second half when he was first to Bertie Denyer's cross to seal Newcastle's fate. Indeed if it hadn't been for an excellent save from Burns in the opening minutes that goal could have sealed a hat-trick for Morris. Swindon's reward in round four was a trip to Burnley, given an added edge by the fact that Swindon's eleven contained a trio of men who had previously played for Burnley's bitter rivals, Blackburn in Tommy Wylie, David Low, and Joe Eddleston. Over thirty thousand Turf Moor spectators watched in horror as Swindon roared into a two goal lead in the first seven minutes through Morris and Denyer and when Morris made it three midway through the first half Swindon were set for one of the great cupsets. But Burnley gained a lifeline before the interval and, despite being reduced to ten men for much of the second half, they clawed their was back into the tie with a penalty and immediately afterwards equalised, to the delight of the home fans. Burnley battered Swindon in the closing stages but coudln't find a winner and a replay, that would have delighted the Swindon fans before the game felt like a defeat after it. The replay brought the town to a standstill with the railway works closing at noon to offer its 14,000 workers the chance to go to the game but the omens were bad in the first half as Harry Morris crumpled to the ground injured and played out the remainder of the first half a virtual passenger. Then two quickfire goals from Beel and Devine just before the half hour looked to have sealed Swindon's fate but the tie was back on when Andy McCluggae handled in the penalty area and Wally Dickenson crashed the spot kick home, by which time Morris was in the dressing room being treated. Swindon needed a good start to the second period and, with a patched up Morris restored to centre forward they got it, though it was Joe Eddlestone whose header came down off the bar and behind Down's goal line just five minutes into the second period. Swindon were penned in for the next few minutes but weathered the brief Burnley storm and sensationally took the lead before the hour mark when Bertie Denyer set up the crocked Morris to head what proved the winner as Burnley's fight died out of their demoralised players. Next up was Arsenal and a trip to the famous marble halls of Highbury in round five where Swindon yet again proved a match for the elite in a scoreless tie, which meant another replay at the County Ground. This time Swindon were unable to recover from going a goal down and bowed out.

Swindon: 1:Ted Nash, 2:Wally Dickenson, 3:Tommy Wylie, 4:David Low, 5:Ralph Viggars, 6:Bob Archer, 7:Bertie Denyer, 8:Joe Eddleston, 9:Harry Morris, 10: Les Roberts, 11:Alec Thom

Burnley: 1:Billy Down, 2:Andy McCluggage, 3:George Waterfield, 4:George Parkin, 5;Patrick Hunt, 6:Alex forrest, 7:Jack Bruton, 8:Billy Stage, 9:George beel, 10:Joe Devine, 11:Louis Page