Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888



1915 - 1921

West Bromwich Albion 0-1 Barnsley

First round: January 10th 1920

Attendance: 32,000

Scorer: Fletcher

Ranked at the time: 10

Today: inside the top 100

West Bromwich Albion: 1:Hubert Pearson, 2:Jesse Pennington, 3:Arthur Cook, 4:Sammy Richardson, 5:Sid Bowser, 6:Bobby McNeal, 7:Jack Crisp, 8:Tommy Magee, 9:Alf Bentley, 10:Fred Morris, 11:Joe Smith

Barnsley: 1:Arthur Cooper, 2:Dickie Downs, 3:Jack Tindall, 4:William Lakin, 5:Jack Gittins, 6:John Williams, 7:George Donkin, 8:Brough Fletcher, 9:Joe Halliwell, 10:Harold Bell, 11:George Dobson

Cardiff City 2-0 Oldham Athletic

First round: January 10th 1920

Attendance: 20,000

Scorers: George West (75), Jack Evans (80)

Ranked at the time:61

Today: Outside the top 300

(image left: Cardiff in 1920 with ten of the side who faced Oldham)

Birmingham 2-0 Everton

First round: January 10th 1920


Scorers: Laurie Burkinshaw, Jack Whitehouse {half time 0-0}

Ranked at the time:95

Today: Outside the top 500

St Andrews, like much of the country was under a blanket of snow for the visit of Champions, Everton but the inconsistent Merseysiders were a shadow of the side that had claimed what was widely regarded as the weakest league title in history back in that disjointed season of 1915 when the greater game of World War one was unfolding. Five long years had passed and for the blues of Birmingham they had managed to put together a side making a real bid to bring top flight football back to St Andrews for the first time in nover a decade. For an hour here though their fans would have felt that perhaps they weren't ready as Everton dominated but were unable to turn chances into goals. Birmingham made them pay in the final half hour as Burkinshaw and Whitehouse both beat Fern to clinch a victory that failed to surprise many pundits.

Birmingham City: 1:Dan Tremelling, 2:'Kosher' Ball, 3:Percy Barton, 4:Joe Roulson, 5:Frank Womack, 6: Millard or McLure, 7:Laurie Burkinshaw, 8:Short, Hampton or Gibson, 9:Jack Elkes, 10:Jack Whitehouse, 11:Billy Morgan

Everton: 1:Tommy Fern, 2:Jack Page, 3:Louis Weller, 4:William Brown, 5:Tom Fleetwood, 6:Alan Grenyer, 7:Frank Jefferis, 8:George Harrison, 9:Ernie Gault, 10:Joe Clennell, 11:Joe Donnachie

Derby County 1-4 Blackpool

First round replay: Wednesday January 14th 1920


Scorers:{Derby}: Noah Burton: {Blackpool}:John Charles, Jack Sibbald, Joe Lane [2] {half time 1-1}

Ranked at the time:82

Today: Outside the top 400

{image right - Joe Lane}

When Noah Burton put relegation battlers Derby in front against promotion chasing Blackpool it looked like turning into a text book case of how to get around a cup tie banana skin but a crucial equaliser from John Charles before the interval turned this tie at the old Baseball Ground on its head. Blackpool ran riot in the second half to destroy the Rams in front of their own fans and book a trip to Preston in round two, which the Seasiders lost 1-2. Derby retained their top flight status while Blackpool's promotion challenge faded with the £3,000 sale of future England captain George Wilson to Wednesday in March. The year ended in great sadness at Bloomfield Road with a horrible head injury suffered by Horace Fairhurst on December 27th. The full back never recovered and passed away in the first week of January. His full back partner, Bert Tulloch buried his young wife the same week.

Derby County: 1:George Lawrence, 2:Jack Atkin, 3:Tommy Barbour, 4:Bert Chandler, 5:Harry Wightman, 6:Harry Walker, 7:George Thornewell, 8:Jim Moore, 9:Harry Leonard, 10:Noah Burton, 11:Alf Quantrill

Blackpool: 1:Harry Mingay, 2:Bert Tulloch, 3:Horace Fairhurst, 4:Harold Keenan, 5:George Wilson, 6:Billy Rooks, 7:John Charles, 8:Jack Sibbald, 9:Joe Lane, 10:Sandy McGinn, 11:Peter Quinn {Manager:Bill Norman}

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Blackburn Rovers

First round replay: Thursday January 15th 1920

Attendance: 36,000

Scorers:Tancy Lea {43}

Ranked at the time:98

Today: Outside the top 500

Both Blackburn and Wolves were involved in relegation battles from the top flight and second division respectively going into this cup tie, which was deservedly settled by Tancy Lea's goal just before the break. Rovers had raised eyebrows before the kick off when selecting fullback Fred Duckworth to play on the left wing despite there being no seeming shortage of regular outside lefts to chose from. Their display was considered nonchalant and deserving of a cup upset with centre forward Danny Shea picking up the biggest criticism, despite being involved in an almighty goal mouth scramble in the dying seconds in which it looked certain that Rovers would force extra time. Wolves themselves were shocked by Southern League Cardiff in the next round before going on to retain their second division status for the next season, which saw them get all the way to the cup final. Only three of the side who beat Blackburn in this game remained to face Tottenham in that 1921 final, Tancy Lea, Alf Riley and Sammy Brooks while Dicky Baugh played in every round before injury prevented him from emulating his father who had been in Wolve's 1889 final team.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: 1:Teddy Peers, 2:Dicky Baugh, 3:George Garratly, 4:Freddy Price, 5:Albert Groves, 6:Alf Riley, 7:Billy Harrison, 8:Harry Wright, 9:Tancy Lea, 10:Dick Richards, 11:Sammy Brooks

Blackburn Rovers: 1:Joe Duckworth, 2:Dave Rollo, 3:Barton or Walmsley, 4:Albert Walmsley, 5:Frank Reilly, 6:Billy Bradshaw, 7:Joe Hodkinson, 8:Danny Shea, 9:Percy Dawson, 10:Ernest Hawksworth, 11:Fred Duckworth

Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Darlington

First round replay: Monday January 19th 1920


Scorers: Dick Healy {42}, George Stevens {half time0-1}

Ranked at the time:61

Today: Outside the top 200

The weather played a big part in this this tie which must rank as the first true non league giant killing act. Darlington were not from the strong Southern League, where virtually every other non league winner had previously come from. The visit of Wednesday to Darlington on first round day created huge excitement but the snow put paid to any action. When the tie was played in midweek it failed to secure a goal and Wednesday, enduring a dreadful season, which would end in relegation looked to have done enough to ensure a replay victory back at Owlerton. The elite club were cleary a side low on confidence as they fell behind in the replay and there was little chance of an equaliser in the second period as a snow storm descended into the faces of the Wednesday forwards who watched on in horror as George Stevens wrapped up the win.

Sheffield Wednesday: 1:Arnold Birch, 2:Jack Burkinshaw or Tom Brittleton, 3:Jimmy Blair, 4:Percy Reed, 5:Bob McSkimming, 6:Jimmy Campbell, 7:Bill Harvey or Freddy Capper, 8:Chas Binney, 9:Arthur Price or C O Brentnall, 10:Colin McKay, 11:Jimmy Gill

Darlington: 1:, 2:, 3:, 4:, 5:, 6:, 6:, 7:, 8:Dick Healy, 9:, 10:George Stevens, 11:

Leicester City 3-0 Manchester City

Second round: Saturday January 31st 1920

Attendance: 23,000

Scorers:George Douglas, Ernie Walker, Tom Smith {half time 0-0}

Ranked at the time:53

Today: Outside the top 200

{Image left: Centre forward, Jock Paterson who failed to find the net on this occasion.}

Officially Leicester City went into this season as a brand new club, though in reality they took over the ground, playing staff, ground, fittings and status of the pre war second division Leicester Fosse team, which had pretty much gone bust during the war. The new name proved a good cup omen as the Foxes took their first division visitors apart in a brilliant second half display, marshalled by the experienced duo of former Newcastle title winner, George Jobey and their ex Irish International forward Jim McAuley. On the back of their success Leicester took a large travelling support to Stamford Bridge in round three but found high flying Chelsea much too strong, going down by the same score as they themselves had inflicted on City.

Leicester City: 1:Herbert Brown, 2:Billy Barrett, 3:Sam Currie, 4:George Jobey, 5:Jimmy Harold, 6:Billy Thomson, 7:George Douglas, 8:Tom Smith, 9:Jock Paterson, 10:Jim McAuley, 

11:Ernie Walker

Manchester City: 1:Jim Goodchild, 2:Sam Cookson, 3:Eli Fletcher, 4:Jack Brennan, 5:Sid Scott, 6:Herbert Tyler, 7:Tommy Broad, 8:Fred Howard or Dick Crawshaw, 9:Tommy Browell, 10:Horace Barnes, 11:Billy 'Spud' Murphy

Newcastle United 0-1 Huddersfield Town

Second round: Saturday January 31st 1920


Scorer: Frank Mann {half time 0-1}

Ranked at the time:108

{Image right: Huddersfield Goalkeeper Sandy Mutch kept a clean sheet on this day on the way to the cup final but would go on to spend a record sixty-four years in the employ of Newcastle United in various capacities before his death in 1987}

Huddersfield were enjoying their greatest season to date at the start of what would prove to be the club's greatest ever decade after the fans had stepped in during pre season to buy the club out of a proposed merger with newly formed Leeds United. One thing Huddersfield did greatfully accept from Elland Road was the services of Herbert Chapman as manager, a man who would lead Town to unprecedented success over the 1920s. This victory over Newcastle could well claim to be the catalyst for everything else that followed at Leeds Road as Town went progressed towards the double target of promotion and the cup final. A routine third round victory over Plymouth followed before the visit of Liverpool in the quarter finals.

See Huddersfield vs Liverpool below

Newcastle United: 1:Jimmy Lawrence or Bill Bradley, 2:Billy McCracken, 3:Frank Hudspeth, 4:Tom Curry, 5:Wilf Low, 6:Peter Mooney or Jock Finlay, 7:Ray Robinson, 8:Stan Dixon, 9:Billy Hibbert, 10:Tom Hall, 11:Alex Ramsay

Huddersfield Town: 1:Sandy Mutch, 2:James Woods, 3:Fred Bullock, 4:Charlie Slade, 5:Tommy Wilson, 6:Billy Watson, 7:George Richardson, 8:Frank Mann, 9:Sam Taylor, 10:Jack Swan, 11:Billy Smith

Bristol City 1-0 Arsenal

Second round: Saturday January 31st 1920

Attendance: 20,000

Scorer: Tommy Howarth {42}

Ranked at the time:112

City won in heavy ground in a match best remembered for a fantastic stop from Frank Vallis from Jock Rutherford, which preserved City's lead, given them less than a minute earlier by Tommy Howarth. The goal came just two minutes after the Gunners were reduced to ten men when Fred Pagnam was forced to leave the field injured. The victory set up a quarter final tie at home to Bradford City where yet more headlines were written.

See Bristol City vs Bradford City below

Bristol City: 1:Frank Vallis, 2:Cyril Treasure, 3:Laurence Banfield, 4:Jack Wren, 5:Billy Wedlock, 6:John Nicholson or Reuben Marr, 7:Dickie Reader, 8:Bert Neesam or Archie Bown, 9:Tommy Howarth, 10:Billy Pocock, 11:Jack Harris

Arsenal: 1:Tim Williamson or Stephen Dunn, 2:Joe Shaw, 3:Frank Bradshaw, 4:Alex Graham, 5:Jack Butler or Chris Buckley, 6:Angus McKinnon, 7:Jock Rutherford, 8:Freddie Groves, 9:Fred Pagnam, 10:Bert White or Billy Blyth, 11:Joe Toner

Huddersfield Town 2-1 Liverpool

Quarter final: Saturday March 6th 1920


Scorers: {Huddersfield}: Jack Swann {63}, Sam Taylor {88}: {Liverpool} Tom Miller {50}

Ranked at the time:79

Today: Outside the top 300

{Image left: Sam Taylor's whose late winner set up a semi final clash with Bristol City}

Having already made headlines with their victory at Newcastle, Huddersfield now took on a Liverpool side who had conceded just one goal in ten games and were lying fourth in the top flight. The reds were marginally the better side in a quiet first half but the game exploded into life five minutes into the second period when, in torrential rain, The Huddersfield full backs, Wood and Bullock both left a loose ball to each other. Sandy Mutch raced out of his goal to try and salvage the situation but was left stranded by Miller who calmly walked the ball into the empty net. Town now had to score more goals in forty minutes than Liverpool had conceded in 900 but from the moment that Jack Swann took advantage of hesitant Pool defending to blast in the equaliser it was Huddersfield always on the front foot. The Reds physically began to wilt and were hanging on desperately for a replay as the game entered its final minutes. When Sam Taylor rattled the post with three minutes left it looked as though Liverpool would hold out but within a minute Taylor got another chance and this time took it. Indeed Huddersfield could even have scored a third in the dying seconds but had done enough anyway to book an all second division semi final with Bristol City. Having won that game, ten of the side then played in Town's first ever cup final, Smith being the unlucky one to miss out as his team mates went down 0-1.

Huddersfield Town: 1:Sandy Mutch, 2:James Woods, 3:Fred Bullock, 4:Charlie Slade, 5:Tommy Wilson, 6:Billy Watson, 7:George Richardson, 8:Frank Mann, 9:Sam Taylor, 10:Jack Swan, 11:Billy Smith

Liverpool: 1:Kenny Campbell, 2:Ephriam Longworth, 3:Donald McKinlay, 4:Jack Bamber, 5:Billy Lacey, 6:Tom Bromilow, 7:Jackie Sheldon, 8:Walter Wadsworth, 9:Tom Miller, 10:Harry Lewis, 11:Bert Pearson

Bristol City 2-0 Bradford City

Quarter final: Saturday March 6th 1920


Scorers: Jack Harris {36} {87}

Ranked at the time:114

Bristol City followed up their Arsenal victory with a two goal win that flattered their visitors from Bradford. This game, like the one at Huddersfield was played in torrential rain at Ashton Gate and was won by a double from Jack Harris. Bristol should already have been in front, and perhaps even safely clear of their opponents, such was their dominance before Harris finally did break the deadlock in fortunate but deserved circumstances. His thirty-sixth minute corner looked easy for Bradford keeper Jock Ewart to deal with, only for the keeper to drop the slippery ball into his own net. Bradford upped their game in the second period but Harris' late clincher barely reflected the ease of the victory. City lost out to Huddersfield in the semi final in what proved to be Billy Wedlock's last cup tie. Wedlock was the last man left from City's 1909 cup final side and remains City's most capped player with an impressive twenty-six appearances for England in an era when only the home nations provided opposition each year. Wedlock later ran a pub outside the ground, which today, though closed and in danger of being pulled down, still bears his name, as does one stand at Ashton Gate.

Bristol City: 1:Frank Vallis, 2:Cyril Treasure, 3:Laurence Banfield, 4:Jack Wren, 5:Billy Wedlock, 6:John Nicholson or Reuben Marr, 7:Dickie Reader, 8:Bert Neesam, 9:Tommy Howarth, 10:Billy Pocock, 11:Jack Harris

Bradford City: 1:Jock Ewart, 2:Fred Potts, 3:Sandy Doolan, 4:Joe Hargreaves, 5:Charlie Storer, 6:George Waddell, 7:Dickie Bond, 8:Joe Marsh or Oscar Fox, 9:Ernie Goldthorpe, 10:Jim McIlvenny, 11:Peter Logan