Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888



Manchester City 3-4 Tottenham Hotspur

First round: 16th January 1909

Attendance: 20,000

Scorers: {Manchester} Tom Holford {3}: {Tottenham} Billy Minter {2}, Bobby Steel, Tom Morris {penalty} {Half time 2-2}

Ranked at the time: 79

Tottenham's first FA cup tie as a League club turned out to be an absolute cracker as their giant killing antics continued in dramatic fashion. City's Hyde Road was in an absolutely dreadful state with many in attendance questioning whether or not the game should go ahead but few home fans were complaining when City roared onto the attack and after missing one glorious chance early on, Tom Holford broke the deadlock thirteen minutes in. Holford then looked to have settled a routine First division home win in the cup with his second goal on twenty-five minutes as no junior club had ever come from two goals down at a top flight club to win a cup tie. Then City proceded to display one of the greatest ever acts of cup tie suicide ever seen by an elite club as first Kelso managed to obstruct his own keeper, Walter Smith to prevent him stopping Billy Minter getting Spurs back in the game and then, minutes later, another City defensive howler gifted Bobby Steel the chance to level before the break. Suddenly it was Tottenham who were on the front foot and took the lead through a needlessly given away penalty, converted by Tom Morris in the fifty-second minute. The home side had fallen into a complete shambles and, grateful for their gifts, Tottenham proceeded to put the game beyond City midway through the second period when Minter scored his second. Then, just as in the first twenty-five minutes, the curse placed on City was lifted and the First division side returned with Holford completing his hat-trick to set up a frantic end in which the Spurs defence held firm. Spurs faced second division opposition in the next two rounds, beating Fulham before bowing out at Burnley but promotion was secured at the end of the season, bypassing relegated City on the way.

Manchester City team: 1:Walter Smith, 2:Tommy Kelso, 3:Frank Norgrove, 4:James Buchan, 5:Bill Eadie, 6:Tom Holford, 7:George Dorsett, 8: Lot Jones, 9:George Stewart, 10:David Ross, 11:Jimmy Conlin

Tottenham team: 1:Bob Hewitson, 2:Ernie Coquet, 3:Ollie Burton, 4:Tom Morris, 5:Danny Steel, 6:Jabez Darnell, 7:Joe Walton, 8:Billy Minter, 9:Vivian Woodward, 10:Bobby Steel, 11:Bert Middlemiss

Leicester Fosse 0-2 Derby County

Second round: 6th February 1909

Attendance: 20,000

Scorers: Alf Bentley {pen}, Ronald Trueman {half time 0-1}

Ranked at the time: 67

Leicester fans probably half expected this as a promotion chasing Second Division Derby side, which contained England International Harry Maskrey and Welsh International Charlie Morris against a home team which hadn't won a top flight league game in eleven attempts and had been hammered 2-6 at Middlesbrough the previous week. The Foxes had managed to see off Watford in a first round cup replay during their lean spell but it was a rare victory during their first season as a top flight club. Deby were dominant and deservedly took a first half lead when Mackie felled Barnes. Alf Bentley, who would later go on to win a championship in 1920 with West Bromwich Albion, tucked home the resultant spot kick while George Richards, who would gain his only England cap that summer missed a golden chance to double the Rams lead before the interval. The second half brought little relief for the poor home fans who watched on as Ronald Trueman scored early on to put the game out of reach and he could have had another within a minute as the demoralised Foxes crumbled. Relegation naturally followed for poor old Fosse but promotion was also missed by Derby whose cup run took them to a semi final replay.Exactly a year later Derby returned for a league game at Filbert Street with both sides still holding outside hopes of promotion. Fosse took full revege, winning comfortably 6-0.

Leicester Fosse: 1:Jonty Starbuck, 2:George 'Tot' Hedly, 3:Bob Mackie, 4:?, 5:Frank Webster, 6:?, 7:?, 8:?, 9:Shirley Hubbard, 10:?, 11:Bob Turner

Derby County: 1:Harry Maskrey, 2:Jack Nicholas, 3:Charlie Morris, 4:Tommy Barbour, 5:Ben Hall, 6:George Richards, 7:George Thompson, 8:Ronald Trueman, 9:Alf Bentley 10:Horace Barnes, 11:Jack 'Pimmy' Davis {Manager - Jimmy Methven}

Liverpool 2-3 Norwich City

Second round: 6th February 1909

Attendance: 30,000

Scorers: {Liverpool} Jack Cox, Robbie Robinson: {Norwich} Tommy Allsopp {pen}, Jimmy Tomlinson, Smith {half time 0-1}

Ranked at the time: 9

A year on from pulling off a huge cup upset against Sheffield Wednesday and Southern League Norwich were at it again in a hum dinger at Anfield but oh what a difference a year made as just three of their 1908 vintage returned in 1909 to become the first, and almost a century later only non league side ever to beat the Reds in their own back yard. Anfield was bathed in sunshine as the Canaries dominated the first half, taking a deserved lead ten minutes before the break when Tommy Allsopp stroked home from the spot. The second half was fantastic end to end stuff as Liverpool woke up but still found Norwich full of fight. The Reds should have leveled twice in the early exchanges before Jack Cox finally restored parity only for Jimmy Tomlinson to go up the other end straight from the kick off and restore the visitor's lead with the home fan's cheers still stuck in their throats. Liverpool continued to push on to save the game and a huge sense of relief swept round the ground when Robbie Robinson looked to have forced a replay with five minutes remaining but the drama still wasn't finished and with the last kick of the game Norwich snatched the tie, giving Liverpool no chance of the third recovery. The Reds managed to avoid relegation that year by just two points while Norwich's cup run saw them bow out at eventual runners up Bristol City in the third round. Scorer Jimmy Tomlinson signed for Bolton at the end of the season, failing to make the first team while team-mate Pat Flanagan later enjoyed three years as a fringe player at Woolwich Arsenal.

Liverpool: 1:Sam Hardy, 2:Tom Chortlon, 3:Percy Saul, 4:Maurice Parry, 5:Alex Raisbeck, 6:Jimmy Bradley, 7:Arthur Goddard, 8:Robbie Robinson, 9:Joe Hewitt 10:Ronald Orr, 11:Jack Cox

Norwich City: 1:Roney, 2:French, 3:Gray, 4:Newlands, 5:Wagstaffe, 6:Whiteman, 7:Long, 8:Pat Flanagan, 9:Jimmy Tomlinson, 10:Smith, 11:Tommy Allsopp

Millwall Athletic 1-0 Woolwich Arsenal

Second round replay: 10th February 1909


Scorer: Jones

Ranked at the time: 12

A century ago this was the local derby for these sides with Arsenal based at Plumstead and Millwall in North Greenwich. Both venues are now no more but huge crowds gathered for the first game at Plumstead where Millwall took a shock lead but were reeled in and clung on by their finger nails for a second chance. The replay crowd was lessened by the difficulties Millwall's support, made up largely of local dockers, had in getting the afternoon off but there were still plenty of spectators on hand to see the Lions triumph through Jones. It proved to be the last ever cup tie played at their North Greenwich ground as an away defeat at Nottingham Forest saw them exit the competition before vacating to The Den the following year.

Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 Glossop

Third round: 20th February 1909


Scorers: James Greechan

Ranked at the time: 42

When looking for a hero in any cup upset the keeper is often singled out second only to the winning goal scorer. Not so at Hillsborough in this tie where Joe Butler saved not one but two Sheffield Wednesday penalties to preserve Glossop's lead in what remains their away win against top flight opponents in a competitive match, this despite the club having spent a season in the top tier without success nine years earlier. Butler also made a string of excellent saves to keep a strong Wednesday side at bay as his team mates, which included British Olympic football gold medalist Harry Stapley, John Cuffe, the first Australian ever to play in the league and three players with limited top flight experience managed to carve out one vital opportunity which James Greechan scored. The second division side created little else in the game but it was enough to earn their first and only quarter final place where they faced Bristol City, narrowly losing in a replay at Ashton Gate.

Sheffield Wednesday:1:Jack Lyall, 2:Willie Layton, 3:Harry Burton, 4:Tom Brittleton, 5:English McConnell, 6:Billy Bartlett, 7:Billy Lloyd, 8:Harry Chapman, 9:Andy Wilson, 10:Frank Bradshaw, 11:Ollie Tummon

Glossop: 1:Joe Butler, 2:Leslie Hofton, 3:John Cuffe, 4:James McGregor, 5:Billy Morrison, 6:Jimmy Robertson, 7:James Raine, 8:Clare Wilson, 9:Harry Stapley, 10:James Greechan, 11:Austin 'Tosher' Underwood

Derby County 3-0 Nottingham Forest

Quarter final: 13th March 1909

Attendance: 20,000

Scorers: Alf Bentley {3}

Ranked at the time: 63

Heavy snow hit the UK hard on cup quarter final day causing the three games that went ahead to all be played in blinding snowstorms, one of them being abandoned late in the tie. At Derby the referee decided not to start at all, deciding to rearrange for the following Saturday, by which time the two teams knew they had avoided cup favourites, Newcastle and would instead be up against Bristol City. Derby had already put paid to one local rival and after a rocky opening fifteen minutes they got into their stride and took the lead twenty minutes in when Bently beat the onrushing Linacre to Thompson's cross to fire the Rams ahead. Linacre had little to do until five minutes into the second half when Bently again beat him to a cross, this time with his head. Forest's frustrations were summed up midway through the second period when 'Knocker' West swung a kick at the already prone Tommy Barbour and was sent off for his trouble, all but killing off any hope his team held. Derby took full advantage of the extra man and created several chances to add to Forest's woes before Bentley completed his hat-trick late on. Not in their wildest dreams could even the most optimistic of Ram's fans have thought they could have humiliated their arch rivals so completely in a tie that no Ram who saw it ever forgot, even if Bristol City ultimately proved too good in the semi final in London.

Derby County: 1:Ernie Scattergood, 2:Jack Nicholas, 3:Charlie Morris, 4:Tommy Barbour, 5:Jimmy Bagshaw, 6:George Richards, 7:George Thompson, 8:Ted Garry, 9:Alf Bentley 10:Horace Barnes, 11:Jack 'Pimmy' Davis {Manager - Jimmy Methven}

Nottingham Forest: 1:Harry Linacre, 2:Walter Dudley, 3:George 'Ginger' Maltby, 4:Teddy Hughes, 5:?, 6:Jack Armstrong, 7:Bill Hooper, 8:Tom Marrison, 9:Enoch 'Knocker' West, 10:?, 11:Alf Spouncer