Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888



1902 - 1904

Bolton Wanderers 0-5 Bristol City

First round: February 7th 1903

Scorers: Banks-3, Dean, Dick Wombwell

Attendance: 6,000

Ranked at the time: 26

Bolton came into this fixture in a rare spell of half decent form, having won back to back home games for the first time in a season that had otherwise produced little for the Burnden Park faithful to cheer. Despite this, and the prospect of a morale boosting defeat of high flying second division outfit Bristol City, the howling wind and driving rain ensured that only 6,000 of the hardiest souls turned up for this first round tie. The early exchanges suggested that Wanderers' superior status would show through but from the moment Dean put City in front, against the run of play, the home side's confidence evaporated. Banks netted twice before the break to put City out of site and most Trotters' fans had long since left for the local hostelries by the time he completed his hat-trick in the second period with Dick Wombwell rounding off a comprehensive victory. Having secured their first ever victory over top flight opposition; City then went and fell to a cup upset themselves in round two when Southern League Tottenham knocked them out while Bolton's miserable season ended with relegation. The two sides met again at Burnden Park in a league encounter in October with honours being shared in a 1-1 draw.

Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool

First round: February 7th 1903

Scorers: {Manchester} John Peddie-2: {Liverpool} Sam Raybould

Attendance: 10,000

Ranked at the time: 27

A historical game for more reasons than one as this was the first meeting between these clubs since the virtually bankrupt Newton Heath club had been bought over and reborn as Manchester United. The rest is well documented history as these two went on to become the nation's biggest clubs by the end of the century. Second division United found Everton a tougher nut to crack in the second round.

West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur

First round replay: February 11th 1903

Scorers: William Dryburgh {pen}, Vivian Woodward

Attendance: 35,000

Ranked at the time: 9

Although any victory by a team from the third tier over a top flight club must be viewed as a shock few people would argue that Tottenham's Edwardian side would have been more than capable of holding their own had they been in the elite league themselves. John Cameron's men went down in history as the only club to win the cup from outside the top two tiers since the formation of the league in 1888 and had hammered Albion 4-0 in the 1901 semi final. Even so, Tottenham looked to have missed their chance this time around when held to a goalless draw at White Hart Lane and the Albion fans fully expected revenge. Instead Spurs sank the elite club in their own back yard with the celebrated amateur and English international Vivian Woodward netting the second and killer goal. Woodward went on to score again in a secrond round defeat of second divison Bristol City and again against Aston Villa in the quarter finals when Spurs went don 2-3.

Millwall Athletic 1-0 Everton

Quarter final: March 7th 1903

Scorer: Ernie Watkins


Ranked at the time: 22

Southern League Millwall were the already the biggest name in F A cup giant killing with their victory over Aston Villa three years earlier when they booked a semi final place at the expense of Everton. Winning goalscorer Ernie Watkins was already an established Welsh International but his side fell at the penultimate hurdle, losing their semi final to Derby. Ernie himself met a sad end, perishing in a house fire in 1957.