Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Giant Killers

Every F A cup slaying since 1888



1897 - 1899

Preston North End 1-2 Newcastle United

First round: 29th January 1898

Deepdale, Preston

Scorers: {Preston} own goal: {Newcastle} Jock Peddie {2} {half time 1-1}

Ranked at the time: 18

The kind of cup upset that has been happening over and over since the Second Division was formed as promotion chasing Newcastle knocked out relegation threatened Preston. Newcastle were captained by the former Sunderland Champion, John Harvey who also led the side to the promotion test matches while Preston avoided the same end of season promotion and relegation deciders only on goal difference. Those test matches proved irrelevant though when two of the teams contrived to fix the final game at a goalless draw, which ensured both team's place in the top flight as Newcastle's expense. The League though intervened to expand the elite division to eighteen clubs, thus granting Newcastle's place among the best in the land for the first time in their history while also scrapping the test match system and introducing automatic promotion for the first time. The majority of the second division promotion team moved on over the next seven years as Newcastle built a side that won the club's first championship in 1905. Only the Scottish International, Andy 'Daddler' Aitken remained in the team, which missed out on the double that year when losing the cup final to Aston Villa.

Preston: James Trainer; Bob Holmes, Sandy Tait, Bob Blyth, Moses Sanders, Henry Matthews, Tom Smith, Tom Pratt, Sandy Brown, Jim Stevenson, Laurence Halsall

Newcastle: Charlie Watts, John White, Jimmy Jackson, Tommy Ghee, Jack Ostler, Jimmy Stott, Ronald Allan, John Harvey, Jock Peddie, Andy 'Daddler' Aitken, Willie Wardrope

Burslem Port Vale 2-1 Sheffield United

First round replay {after extra time}: 2nd February 1898

Scorers: {Burslem} Dick Evans {18} Lucien Boullemier {extra time} : {Sheffield} Harry Thickett {82}

Ranked at the time: 1

Southampton 4-0 Bolton Wanderers

Quarter final replay: 2nd March 1898

The Dell, Southampton


Scorers: Joe Turner {2}, Jimmy Yates, Jack Farrell

Ranked at the time: 4

Southern League Champions Southampton had already knocked the first round giant killers, Newcastle out of the competition in the second round to set up a quarter final trip to struggling mid table outfit, Bolton. the first meeting ended scoreless but Southampton, dominated the replay to earn a semi final tie with Nottingham Forest, which would end controversially. Joe Turner missed a golden opportunity to give the Saints the lead when squandering a penalty before the veteran referee, John Lewis temporarily brought the game to a halt due to a heavy snow storm. Lewis then controversially decided to try and finish the game amid the worsening conditions with Saint's keeper, George Clawley being blinded by the worsening snow storm. Forest took full advantage to score twice past the virtually blind keepr to book their first cup final while Southampton's protests that the game should be replayed went unheeded. The Saint's did however go on to retain their Southern League title while both Joe Turner and Jimmy Yates, the former who missed the semi final due to injury, went on to play in the 1900 and 1902 cup finals respectively. Yates had joined Southampton the previous year after being part of the Sheffield United side which finished runners up to league and cup double winners, Aston Villa but missed the semi final against Forest due to injury. Sadly he suffered serious ill health in later years and, unable to find work, he took his own life in Southampton Common in 1922.


Bolton:John Sutcliffe, John Sommerville, Di Jones, Alex Paton, Bob Brown, Archie Freebairn, Billy Thomson, John Miller, Tom Miller, Jockey Wright, Sandy Gilligan. Manager:Frank Brettall